Export thread

Gas Powered Lawn Mower History

P

platefire

It appears that the very first hand push mowers go back to the early 1800's and started in England. The very first gas engine powered mower also came from England in 1902. Here is a drawing of that machine plus a little background info:

"Around 1900, one of the best known English machines was the Ransomes' Automaton, available in chain- or gear-driven models. Numerous manufacturers entered the field with petrol (gasoline) engine-powered mowers after the start of the 20th century. In 1902, The first was produced by Ransomes.[6][7] JP Engineering of Leicester, founded after World War I, produced a range of very popular chain-driven mowers. About this time, an operator could ride behind animals that pulled the large machines. These were the first riding mowers."Ransomes First Gas Mower1.jpeg

Thanks for the history.. Cool stuff right there...

G

GearHead36

For those of you who have Hulu, check out "The Machines That Made America". Episode 1 is about tractors.

P

platefire

Here is old picture of the the 1902 Ransomes' in action plus a present day picture of a fully restored one. This is said to be the first commercially available gas engine powered riding mower and weighed 1.25 Tons and was 8'-0 Long.

Ransom 1902.jpgRansomes 1902 3a.jpeg

P

platefire

1918 produced one of the first Gas powered push or walk behind mower. They were still big and bulky at this point. I understand that this one is water cooled. I don't have many details about it so far.
Z1918-LAWNMOWER-GPN-1982-0329-MOBOT.jpg

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

1918 produced one of the first Gas powered push or walk behind mower. They were still big and bulky at this point. I understand that this one is water cooled. I don't have many details about it so far.
View attachment 68797
Over a hundred years ago…
I wonder what that beast weighed?

P

platefire

I don't know the weight but-----I bet without the self propelled drive working, this buddys going nowhere by pushing!

P

platefire

The Roaring 20's brought slimmed down gas powered machines and a little better designs more suited for
residential yards of the common household. Still the most common for normal folks was
the non-powered walk behind push rotary mowers.

Enter the 1921 ATCO 22" cut:

The machine was introduced in 1921, the first mower made by Charles H Pugh Ltd. This company had been in existence for many years, and was best known as a successful manufacturer of small 'repetition' components. These had been used extensively during the First World War on many items, including armaments. Demand for these products inevitably dropped following the Armistice in 1918, and the company looked for new products and markets. The name "Atco" was derived from the Atlas Chain Company, another name owned by Charles H Pugh Ltd. The resulting mower utilized a number of components already manufactured by the company, including Senspray carburetor and chain drive.

The first 1921 design was a 22 inch (22") machine with an oval section cast iron frame and a 269cc Villiers MkIV two stroke engine with brass flywheel magneto. Cast iron was used because the preferred supplier was unable to deliver the right components due to an industrial dispute in the foundry. The cast frames were very fragile and apparently many of these early machines broke during assembly, particularly when the frames were tightened. Atco's own figures show that 921 mowers were sold in the first year of production.
ATCO22 1921.jpg

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

The Roaring 20's brought slimmed down gas powered machines and a little better designs more suited for
residential yards of the common household. Still the most common for normal folks was
the non-powered walk behind push rotary mowers.

Enter the 1921 ATCO 22" cut:

The machine was introduced in 1921, the first mower made by Charles H Pugh Ltd. This company had been in existence for many years, and was best known as a successful manufacturer of small 'repetition' components. These had been used extensively during the First World War on many items, including armaments. Demand for these products inevitably dropped following the Armistice in 1918, and the company looked for new products and markets. The name "Atco" was derived from the Atlas Chain Company, another name owned by Charles H Pugh Ltd. The resulting mower utilized a number of components already manufactured by the company, including Senspray carburetor and chain drive.

The first 1921 design was a 22 inch (22") machine with an oval section cast iron frame and a 269cc Villiers MkIV two stroke engine with brass flywheel magneto. Cast iron was used because the preferred supplier was unable to deliver the right components due to an industrial dispute in the foundry. The cast frames were very fragile and apparently many of these early machines broke during assembly, particularly when the frames were tightened. Atco's own figures show that 921 mowers were sold in the first year of production.
View attachment 68817

I was just thinking about how much over thought they put into a push mower back them. Todays plain-jane models vs this model.

P

platefire

Yeah, it's taken a 100+ years to refine the design gradually to what we have today. They were hooked for a
long time on the reel type blades when the flat deck with vertical shaft motor and regular flat blade
was so much more simple and efferent.

P

platefire

Here is another 20's reel mower called the JP Super Power Mower with a little info as follows:

Of the motor mowers produced by JP in the 1920s and 1930s by far the rarest and, perhaps, most interesting is the 24" JP Super Power Mower. This was unusual because it featured a water cooled four stroke engine with an open topped water hopper that resembles a small cauldron or cooking pot! In fact, cooling was achieved by a combination of the water jacket and air forced around the outside of the combustion chamber by an impellor built into the main engine unit.

JP prided itself on the quality of its design and manufacture and this included making the mower easy to maintain. The mower was designed so that the entire engine unit could be removed easily for maintenance and repair. JP brochures of the period also claimed that this would allow the mower to be used by hand but it is doubtful if this was really practical because, even without its engine, the mower would have been large and heavy.
jpmotor1.jpgjpmotor5.jpg

P

platefire

JP Mower continued:

Another of the design features that made the 24" JP Super Power Mower unusual in its time was the starting mechanism. This was an early type of rope or pull start, whereas during the same period most motor mowers featured conventional crank handle starting. JP claimed this made the mower easier to start and, to illustrate the point, showed the mower being started by a young woman in some of its advertisements.

JP Mower Rope Crank.jpg

to illustrate the point, showed the mower being started by a young woman in some of its advertisements.
That's the kicker..

P

platefire

Here is a 1930's Qualcast 16" Cut, Notice the size and simplicity are getting smaller and more easy to operate.
Engines are still mostly two cycle and reel blades are still king
Qualcast 16 Inch Cut.jpg

P

platefire

This is an original 1930 black and white print ad for the Coldwell Lawn Mower Company of Newburgh, New York. This particular ad features an image of the Coldwell "Twin-Thirty" lawn mower and roller. Follow Link to video
of a restored twin thirty Four Cycle

1930 Coldwell Twin 30a.jpeg

Come a long way......................... heh ..

P

platefire

Amen!!! Considering we started with something like this---1 stroke motor here:>)
1st Lawn Mower1.jpeg

Yea, good old days. Eh, maybe not that good, LOL (good exercise tho)..

P

platefire

Some more 30's mowers before we go into the 40's. Link below is a video to a ATCO Motor Mower running:
30s Cooper Royal 20.jpg1930s I don't know.jpg1930s Toro.jpg

Cool, I like # 5.

P

platefire

Yeah, cool looking TORO and the operator looks like he likes it too!

You know it just occurred to me, I haven't found any vintage weed eaters:unsure:

In old days we called them goats.. LOL

P

platefire

Har, You right! I did a little research and the first electric powered weed eater with string line was invented in the 70's. Turns out is was a popcorn can with holes drilled in it with heavy fishing line placed through the holes
hooked up to a hedge trimmer, if I got the story right?

That is pretty primitive for sure.. But cool to know.. Thanks.

P

platefire

Before I go into the 40's mowers, I found the really cool video of a 1921 ATCO mower
in operation, very well displayed so here it is:

I dig it. Would love to own it as well.
Harley had brass carbs from 1903 till the 60's..

P

platefire

OK, moving into the 40's lawn mowers. From what research I've done this is the decade of
the trimmed down powered reel mowers and the rise of the Briggs and Stratton Engine. When I
say trimmed down I mean in comparison to the 20's and 30's reel mowers. Of course there
were exceptions from the reel blade and Briggs engines but reel/Briggs kind of ruled the roost.Moto Mower Lawnkeeper 24 .jpegBriggs Stratton 1.5 HP Engine.jpegMoto Boy 20 and The Scout 22 inch.jpegMore to come!

G

GearHead36

Cool! But... I kinda doubt the 2.5-3.0 acres per day.

I kinda doubt the 2.5-3.0 acres per day.
Cool indeed, But I agree about that amount of grass getting mowed, maybe they have tag teams to push it..

P

platefire

Here are some neat 40's mowers Ads:
REO Royal.jpg40's Mower Ad.jpgAnother Toro.jpg

P

platefire

Now here are some early 40's exceptions to the reel mower. Some of the first vertical shaft to rotary blade flat decks:
Lauson Company.jpeg
Micro Devices.jpgTehnopol.jpg

P

platefire

1940's Riding Mowers:
1940 Toro Riding Mower 76 inch cut.jpg
shutterstock-lawn.jpg
40's Riding Mower.jpg

P

platefire

Just thinking remembering Grandpa on mothers side had a pretty large yard and he always had a powered reel
mower. On my Dad's side Grandpa had a small yard and always had a non-powered walk behind
push reel mower.

Happy Fathers Day to all you Dads & shade tree lawn mower mechanics o_O (y)

Happy Fathers Day to all you Dads & shade tree lawn mower mechanics o_O (y)
Cool, Thanks.

P

platefire

Think this will wrap up the 40's Era mowers. This Toro Homelawn below is pretty good example of what ruled
the roost from the 30's throughout the 40's and dare say extended even into the 50's and 60's. I recall my Grandpa using his reel mower up into the late 60's.

The Homelawn was introduced in the mid 1930’s as Toro’s first power mower designed for the homeowner. It was expensive and heavy and once war production started the tooling was packed away. Like Most manufactures once war production ended Toro picked up where they left off. Toro use primarily Briggs and Stratton engines however Briggs had labor issues and long strikes would halt production. This 1949 model used a Continental engine. Continental an airplane engine manufactory was a minor player in post war lawn equipment engines. These is a very rare mower however when I needed parts to repair the engine we had them in our parts department.
Toro 40's ad.jpg
Toro 40's a.jpg
Toro 40's b.jpg

These are so cool to see, most for 1st time..

P

platefire

Thanks! This is something I wondered about for a long time but just never took the time to do it. I never cared
about history of any sort when I was a kid but here in my old age I find history of all sorts very interesting. The
development of gas powered lawn mowers go back further and was more advanced than I first suspected. So this is good fun to me:>)

So this is good fun to me:>)
Cool, & fun for me as well. Thanks.

P

platefire

Here We go "50's Mowers Begins! This first one is not your ordinary mower but may as well start off with
a "Bang"!!! Here is some info on plus a picture:

In this AP photo the "Power Mower of the Future" is demonstrated in Port Washington, Wis., Oct 14, 1957. The lawnmower has a five foot diameter plastic sphere in which the rider sits on an air foam cushioned seat. It has its own electric generating system for operating running lights, a radio telephone, air conditioning and even a cooling system to provide a chilled drink on a hot day. It can be used for many purposes. It can mow the lawn, weed it, feed it, seed it, spray for insects, plow snow and haul equipment. It can even be used as a golf cart.

A similar color photo with the man driving while his wife and child watched was featured on the cover of the March 1958 issue of Mechanix Illustrated.

50's Mower1.jpeg
50's Mower 1a.jpeg

P

platefire

Here is a video of several 50's mowers in action:

P

platefire

50's Fairbanks Morris Riding Mower ad:
fairbanks-morse-mower-ad.jpeg

P

platefire

Here is a 1959 ATCO (British) ad:
1959-british-advertisement-for-atco-lawnmowers-2F4AJK0.jpeg

S

slomo

Here is old picture of the the 1902 Ransomes' in action plus a present day picture of a fully restored one. This is said to be the first commercially available gas engine powered riding mower and weighed 1.25 Tons and was 8'-0 Long.

View attachment 68786View attachment 68787
No doubt Commercial Grade all the way LOL.

P

platefire

It had to be a riding mower because it's no way your going to push that 1.25 ton beast around by hand.;)

50's Fairbanks Morris Riding Mower ad:
View attachment 69345

Fairbanks - Morris were big into making magnetos.. Very good quality.