Garden Tractor Transaxle upgrade/swap?

Def-Ed

Threads
Has anybody done this?
I'm exceeding the capabilities of my craftsman's transaxle,and should start planning for repair or upgrade as the clutch has been slipping anyway.
It currently has a 6spd transaxle and I would like to go with a locked or locking differential.
I don't mind losing some speeds at all,hell it leaves black marks if I take off on concrete in 6th.

Has anyone done similar to their machine?
Just looking for general advice on what's out there,the only garden tractor models i've played with are the craftsman GT series.

Are most of them similar mounting?
I can weld and fabricate if needed but ease of install is always a plus.

Is any brand better over another?
I'm only familiar with peerless and foote,any other notables?

Anybody have any transaxle model numbers I can look up diagrams for to get a better idea of what's out there and how they are built?

Hopefully I can get by and do this as a winter project,would like to start keeping an eye out for suitable junk mowers now however.

I don't remember the exact model of my mower,just that the next level up was the garden tractor version. I can find and post the exact model if needed.
Thanks for any advice or direction

wcpost

Threads
The problem that you will have is that now the transaxle is part of the frame in the rear. I swapped an older 3 speed to a newer 6 speed in an old Craftsman I had. You will have to fab brackets because of the width of the transaxle. It can be done, just take your time and enjoy the time out of the house.

Def-Ed

Threads
Found a solution I think.
Going to pick up a craftsman GT5000 garden tractor tomorrow,unit burned in front and melted hood and carb.
Far as I can tell,unit is exactly the same as mine other than larger deck and different wheels.
Shifter handle is even mounted in same place.

Frame looks exactly like mine outwardly,gas tank same etc..
I'll know for sure when I get it home,but i'm excited.

Paying $150 for whole thing. So my mower will get a larger deck for almost 9ft of mowing area with pull behind offset,also the heavier duty GT rear end for ground engagment and it also had the optional push bumper on it.
Couldn't get any better deal unless it has a sleeve hitch lol.

I'll post up a pic tomorrow when I get it home,gotta pick up about 2hrs away.

chad22

Threads
Paying $150 for whole thing. So my mower will get a larger deck for almost 9ft of mowing area with pull behind offset,also the heavier duty GT rear end for ground engagment and it also had the optional push bumper on it.
Couldn't get any better deal unless it has a sleeve hitch lol.

I'll post up a pic tomorrow when I get it home,gotta pick up about 2hrs away.

Not a bad deal. :thumbsup: Looking forward to the pics.

Chad

Def-Ed

Threads
Got home with it about an hour ago,with gas/tolls and mower cost was about $200 total.
Up in the air whether I will rebuild the GT with my new engine and dash or as planned upgrade my DYT4000 with deck and rear diff.

This had a 25 kohler,not familiar with them and haven't checked to see if motor might be salvageable.
At a glance,pretty sure most stuff will transfer over to ours pretty easily. Everything seems to be brackets bolted to a frame. If i'm lucky they used the same frame for ease of manufacturing.
The rear plate bracket is different between them,and not sure if the GT is compatible with my bagger (glad it didn't sell).
Electric clutch looks good,be nice to have a spare for such an expensive part.

Anyway,here is quick pics.

b4a78367.jpg

c04d9368.jpg

ad8fd165.jpg

chad22

Threads
Wow. That mower is in better shape than I thought. If it were me. I'd probably try and fix it.

Chad

Def-Ed

Threads
After talking with the wife,and looking over various differences between them it would be much more efficient and simpler to rebuild the GT.

Gonna wait a few weeks though,until we have a mowing lull due to heat etc.. around here.

I've stripped the GT of it's front brackets,engine,dash etc.. already.

Would only take a couple hours to swap motor and harness over but I want to freshen up some parts from the GT first.
Plus I have a couple extras i'll be adding that were planned for the DYT mower that still need finished up.

I'm going to make a seperate thread for the build and pics when it's finished.

Moparjoe499

Threads
The problem that you will have is that now the transaxle is part of the frame in the rear. I swapped an older 3 speed to a newer 6 speed in an old Craftsman I had. You will have to fab brackets because of the width of the transaxle. It can be done, just take your time and enjoy the time out of the house.

Moparjoe499

Threads
Someone gave me a dgs 6500 frame with a rear axle. A guy has a dyt 4500 that had a bad rear hydro axle. Does anyone know if my axle dgs 6500 axe7l will fit in a dyt 4500 mower. I do a lot of work on peoples mowers and these mower parts change frequently. Sometimes contacting the company, you get that stupid common response, well, I don't know if it will fit. Can anyone help me.