FS400 Ring gap

cherami

Threads
Does anyone know the ring gap for this motor, to ascertain wear please.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is an FS400 Kawasaki? If so they don't list an FS400 engine. They list a FE400 but no specks for the ring gap.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The FS400 service manual has no specs on the ring end gap nor landing clearances.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most handheld 2 strokes have locating pins in the in the grooves to keep the rings from turning to where a ring end is in a port (bad). And the ends are tapered to fit the pins. I have never had to file rings. OEM or AM I just put new rings on the piston and install. Never had a problem. Not sure if the FS400 uses a plated cylinder but if it is not scored it is probably good to go.

cherami

Threads
Most handheld 2 strokes have locating pins in the in the grooves to keep the rings from turning to where a ring end is in a port (bad). And the ends are tapered to fit the pins. I have never had to file rings. OEM or AM I just put new rings on the piston and install. Never had a problem. Not sure if the FS400 uses a plated cylinder but if it is not scored it is probably good to go.
There is wear on the cylinder but without knowing ring clearance it is impossible to ascertain how much wear on cylinder or rings.

cherami

Threads
I am not being informed if there are replies to my post, even though I have notification on. Is this normal?

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I am not being informed if there are replies to my post, even though I have notification on. Is this normal?
Take the old rings after removing from the piston, push down into the cylinder with the piston to make even. Take your feeler gauge and determine gap. Repeat process with new rings. This will give you a comparison at least.