FS36 Trimmer wont start/run

Ritz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone,
A friend of mine asked me to take a look at his FS36 (dinosaur) trimmer to troubleshoot an issue he had last year. He claimed the trimmer would only run on full choke and die when choke was opened. Sounded like a carb issue to me. He didnt winterize it and since he has brought it to me I have not been able to get it to run. I have replaced fuel lines, fuel filter, and primer bulb. Also replaced air filter and spark plug. I removed the carb and it appeared clean inside but have not rebuilt it. While trying to start it I have flooded it. Removed plug and it was wet. I have verified that I am getting spark at the plug. Not sure what else to do. Any help would be great!

Mikel1

Threads
Did you check the spark arrestor screen?

Ritz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Forgot to mention but yes. Won't start even with the spark arrestor removed.

Mikel1

Threads
What color is the spark? What is the compression at?

Ritz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Blue spark. Have not done a compression test. I got it to run today for about 3-4 seconds by using a little starting fluid but it will not start on its own.

Mikel1

Threads
Ok. When you press the primer bulb(purge) does fuel enter the bulb?

Ritz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes but the bulb does not fill all the way. I have clear fuel line on it and I can see fuel going to the carb.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Recheck all fuel lines and primmer bulb. Also try starting it without the gas cap.

Mikel1

Threads
Yes but the bulb does not fill all the way. I have clear fuel line on it and I can see fuel going to the carb.

As long as the fuel is making its way into the bulb, its good. That means the metering diaphragm is lifting the inlet needle allowing fuel in. Aside from a compression test and a visual check of the cylinder & piston. The only other thing I can think of is checking the pulse passage from crankcase to carb. I have my doubts on it since you said you had fuel on spark plug earlier.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Spark color may be misleading. Spark required under compression is different . "Search" this forum for a spark tester made from an old sparkplug.