Freedom Z Operation Questions

LSU-Mike

Threads
I recently performed significant work on my 17 year old mower (significant for me). Replaced: starter, breather plate and gasket, upper crankshaft seal, governer shaft seal, clutch, both transaxle filters, refilled with 20-50w oil, fuel filter, engine filter and 10-30w oil. I completed the burnish process on the clutch, set the gap to 0.015 and purged the transaxles. The gap is still good after cutting.

The mower starts up fine and sounds good. After about 1 hour of light cutting the transaxle fluid level has risen from half way between the fill and full marks to about 1/4" above the full mark. Before all of the work listed above I never notice such a rise in level (maybe I just didn't notice it). Do I still have air in the system? Something else I've never noticed is that I can push the mower forward without a lot of effort with the dump valve lever in the drive position. Can't pull backward unless in freewheel position.

I don't know if the temps listed here will mean anything (measured immediately after shut down): 145 transaxle body; 122 fluid filter; 200 valve covers; 200 engine oil filter; 145 clutch. Ambient temp is 90.

One more thing - although engaging the blades slow the engine slightly, after I advance the throttle and mow a while, when I disengage the blades the engine speeds up "significantly" and it idles faster than at startup.

Thanks for any guidance.

Last edited: