Freedom Z Clutch Question

LSU-Mike

Threads
I recently had to replace the main drive belt (between engine and the two drive axles). Having never changed this belt, I first thought I'd need to remove the main pulley/clutch assembly. I soon realized that wasn't necessary, but I "discovered" what I thought were loose nuts on the clutch assembly, so I tightened them. :confused: To make a long story short, I eventually realized I had overtightened the nuts, causing everything to seize up. After loosening the nuts everything appears to be OK.

Can someone tell me the appropriate torque or some other method to achieve the proper tightness.

Thanks
Mike

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is no tightness. They set the air gap for the electric pto clutch. There should be a slot next to each of those bolts with spring on them attached to those nuts. Slip a .012-.016 feeler gauge between the two rotating disc inside and adjust each nut until that reading is achieved all the way around in all three slots.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Either you have an Oruga or Warner clutch. They do have different brake adjustments.

Oruga>

Step 1
Please make sure that the brake plate and coil springs are in the proper position. Start to tighten down the gap adjustment nuts. The same number of turns should be applied to each nut successively so the adjustment is as even as possible.

Step 2
There are three inspection slots on the brake cover. With a feeler gauge of between .013-.015 for clutches used on 25 horsepower and under, and .015-.022 for clutches used on 25-31 horsepower, tighten each nut down until slight contact is felt on the feeler gauge. Once all three are finished, go back and check the air gap (occasionally some minor adjustment will be required).

Step 3
Once the air gap is within the specified range, engage the clutch at full coil voltage and rotate it. If there is no contact on the brake shroud, the clutch is okay; however, if there is any contact with the brake shroud, the gap adjustment nuts should be backed off slightly to eliminate the contact.

Warner>

Similar procedure as above.

Please make sure that the brake plate and coil springs are in the proper position. Start to tighten down the gap adjustment nuts. The same number of turns should be applied to each nut successively so the adjustment is as even as possible.

Check Air Gap Setting
1. Turn engine and PTO switch off.

2. Locate the three “windows” or “notches” where
the air gap is checked. (Figure 3)

3. With feeler gauge check gap at all three
locations (minimum of two).

4. Factory air gap setting is .005” - .023”.

5. If gap doesn’t fall between .005” - .023” then
reset using a .012” feeler gauge.

LSU-Mike

Threads
Thanks gentlemen for the detailed instructions.