Free Briggs 17.5 I/C mid 2000s

TylerFrankel1

Threads
Hey everybody! About a week ago a buddy of mine alerted me to some free equipment out for the trash. There was a lawn tractor and pressure washer. I got the pressure washer and fixed it right away, just a leaky needle and seat. Runs great. Pressure washed my driveway finally. The lawn tractor was a Yard Machines (MTD) w/ 42 inch deck and manual trans. I couldn't take it, because I just recently got a free Troy Bilt (also MTD) Bronco with automatic drive and 42 inch deck. Since I already have that project, have no space, and because the Bronco is a bit nicer, I had to leave it. But, I couldn't just LEAVE it leave it ?. So at about 8PM the day before trash pick up, I went out there with my wrenches and drill and sockets and ratchets and propane torch and pliers and WD-40 and penetrating fluid and got busy.

As a result, I have a free 17.5 HP B/S I/C engine. Non pressure lube :( but I'm sure it will run forever anyway as long as the fuel and air filters are clean. Looks like it has medium hours. It had a nest in it, and a lot of grimy build-up around the head. I think it may have a bad head gasket because of all the residue. However, I cleaned it up pretty good, and mounted it to the troy bilt tractor for testing. It wouldn't spin over all the way. I figured it was like the Intek that had been on the Troy Bilt with out of lash valves. I adjusted them. Still wouldn't crank. Then I noticed a gurgling. Sure enough when I took out the plug gas flooded out. Stuck needle and seat. Stripped the carb down to find the needle frozen and bowl dirty. I cleaned it well and solved the leak. Went to crank it again and it started right up. Runs smooth. Oil right above the low line, so it needs some. But otherwise I think it's in good shape unless that gasket is blown. Regardless, good find. I had a spare air filter so I installed that, and tomorrow I'll change the oil and ride around for a while to see how it runs. I'll check the head gasket area for oil leaks.

Can't decide if I should keep it as a spare for my intek 18.5 or sell it. Apparently they'll go for a few hundred bucks. If someone is really interested in buying it for some reason let me know. I might sell it. I live in NC.

Before Cleaning:

smallmotornest.jpg

Here's a video of me starting it for the first time, after I cleaned it:

The oil seems fine since I took care of the leaky seat issue fast. Smoke is coming out the exhaust slightly, but I imagine that's because it sat around for so long and is burning off residual oil. Or, the head gasket is blown. I'll see if it clears up. I only ran it briefly since the shroud was off. Afterwards I cleaned the intake and put a new filter in. I'll do more testing tomorrow.

I also took the deck with me along with the motor because it was not very rusty at all, as well as the battery (It's from 2017 so hopefully it can be revived), seat, gas tank, muffler and a leaf bagger attachment. Unfortunately I don't think it will bolt up to mine because the connections seem different. And I don't remember how it was set up lol.

Anyway just thought I'd share. Hope everyone is enjoying COVID sheltering.