FR730v -ES04 surging

wolfpack_dolly

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought this mower Husq GT48DXLS last year (~80hrs). It started surging recently. Change the fuel filter and pump and cleaned the carb as best I could. Cleaning out the main jet got most of the problem but it's still a little sketchy. Is there a guide somewhere on how to take the carb apart and clean? I'm pretty nervous around carburetors and would be great to get some guidance on what to clean and how to get at it.

Also, I mucked up the head of the main jet and would rather replace it if I have to take it out again. I can't figure out if it's a 120, 125, 130, etc.

Thanks in advance.

wolfpack_dolly

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks a ton! Any idea how to get the main nozzle out? Is it just held in by the main Jet and I need to grab it with some needle nose and force it down? I don't want to damage it trying to get it out for cleaning but I was pretty convince it had some clogs.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks a ton! Any idea how to get the main nozzle out? Is it just held in by the main Jet and I need to grab it with some needle nose and force it down? I don't want to damage it trying to get it out for cleaning but I was pretty convince it had some clogs.
Remove main jet. Remove emulsion tube.

Use a radiator hose removal tool. It's a pic like device to remove the emulsion tube. Works for me anyway.

txmowman

Threads
As @slomo wrote, remove the main jet and the emulsion tube would normally slide right out. You can give it a push from inside the venturi. You will see the brass top sticking up. Be careful with the soft aluminum and brass, It is best to grind the flared sides off a cheap screwdriver to get in there without damaging the aluminum threads or chewing up the brass. Carburetors are easily cleanable these days unless it’s corroded. If it’s clean and still surging, it may be junk in the tank or somewhere else. Good luck.

lil SIG

Threads
Disconnect the fuel line from the carb. Drain the fuel float bowl and fill with Sea Foam. Turn it over with Seafoam gravity feed to the float bowl to get it all in the needle area. Let it set for a while and soak. Then turn it over again soak. Drain bowl prime with fuel. May need a shot of ether to start the start.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Disconnect the fuel line from the carb. Drain the fuel float bowl and fill with Sea Foam. Turn it over with Seafoam gravity feed to the float bowl to get it all in the needle area. Let it set for a while and soak. Then turn it over again soak. Drain bowl prime with fuel. May need a shot of ether to start the start.
Most likely the carb needs to be boiled for an hour. You can get a cheap hot plate and your own pan to boil carbs. DON"T GET ONE FROM THE KITCHEN. Just saying....... Wife will miss it and be on the prowl. The heat I feel does more to loosen varnish and such compared to chemicals. But if both works for you, do it.

boatmoter

Threads
Bought this mower Husq GT48DXLS last year (~80hrs). It started surging recently. Change the fuel filter and pump and cleaned the carb as best I could. Cleaning out the main jet got most of the problem but it's still a little sketchy. Is there a guide somewhere on how to take the carb apart and clean? I'm pretty nervous around carburetors and would be great to get some guidance on what to clean and how to get at it.

Also, I mucked up the head of the main jet and would rather replace it if I have to take it out again. I can't figure out if it's a 120, 125, 130, etc.

Thanks in advance.
put some seafoam in the fuel and run it

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I mucked up the head of the main jet and would rather replace it if I have to take it out again.
Just to be clear, you needed a gunsmith like flat blade driver. Nice precision hollow ground tip that FITS the slot perfectly. You were trying to remove a soft brass jet with a steel bit that was not the proper size. Right tool for the job.
1688032215378.png

1688032422473.png