FR691V sputters after 5 to 10 minutes of running with blades engaged and have to use choke to keep it running.

testdepth

Threads
  • / FR691V sputters after 5 to 10 minutes of running with blades engaged and have to use choke to keep it running.
The engine started surging after running and cutting for about 10 minutes. RPMs up and down and then had to engage choke to keep it running but RPMs would still hunt and then it would die.
I installed:
New carburetor
New air filter
New fuel lines
New fuel pump
New fuel filter
New gas
Removed and cleaned out the gas tank
I just installed a second brand new carburetor and same symptoms. Engine barely running and limped back to my backyard and died. Its spitting and surging and dying. WTH!!

Any ideas please help and thank you.

Engine: Kawasaki FR691V DOM 0320
FR691V J 22205
FR691V G505-R

Cub Cadet ZT1 50
MDL 17RIEACL010
DOM 01/2021
Ser # 1A05MH50046

I removed the gas cap and cleaned it to ensure the vapor hole was open. I installed the cap and ran it with blades engaged for about 5 minutes. Same sputter and had to engage choke to keep from dying. I nursed it back in my yard moving the choke as needed to keep it running until it died.

I have cut the tip off the solenoid and no change.

txmowman

Threads
  • / FR691V sputters after 5 to 10 minutes of running with blades engaged and have to use choke to keep it running.
If it’s not fuel or fuel flow related, then likely an air leak. Try spraying carb cleaner around the intake gaskets, manifold and insulator. Likely you either have a lot of money or are buying aftermarket carburetors. The original is likely fine unless it is corroded, broke or missing a part that is not replaceable. People, unless it is one of these issues, don’t waste money on replacing carburetors! You’ve also ruined a perfectly good solenoid.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it’s not fuel or fuel flow related, then likely an air leak. Try spraying carb cleaner around the intake gaskets, manifold and insulator. Likely you either have a lot of money or are buying aftermarket carburetors. The original is likely fine unless it is corroded, broke or missing a part that is not replaceable. People, unless it is one of these issues, don’t waste money on replacing carburetors! You’ve also ruined a perfectly good solenoid.
👍

testdepth

Threads
The problem that presented acts like a fuel flow problem. After running for 5 to 10 minutes all of a sudden the engine sputters and spits with rpms dropping even though I'm at full throttle. I have to pull the choke to keep it running and while doing so its still sputtering and barely running enough to get it back to the garage. After engaging the choke to keep it running, if I then try to back off the choke the engine will die. I've pulled the hose off the fuel pump to verify its send gas to the carb even though both are brand new.

txmowman

Threads
Likely, if it were something mechanical it wouldn’t take 10 minutes for it to begin to do it. If choke helps, this is because the choke is enrichment the air/fuel mixture enough to keep it running. I believe it might be an air leak that is revealing itself once the engine gets to operating temp or there is a fuel restriction somewhere.
You would need to find a way to gravity feed fuel directly to the carburetor. Then add components back in, one by one, until it starts acting up again. I.e., add the fuel pump, then the filter, etc.

testdepth

Threads
FIXED! Always the simplest thing that you check last and ends up the problem. I removed the pick up tube from the gas tank and disconnected the other side attached to the entrance of the fuel filter. I blew in the hose and watched a chunk of small grass pieces about an inch long that were acting like a plug in the tube blow out the other end. I hooked everything back up and went for a test run. Its running very smooth now and no choke needed. Thanks for the other ideas. A grass piece plug the size of a caterpillar would have and was my last guess.

Last edited: