Found these in my crank case...what are they?

bfcg

Threads
I have been in the process of breaking down a Kawasaki FH601V that broke connecting rods and along with the bits and pieces of the broken stuff I found this spring and this little "button" looking thing. Can anybody identify these and tell me where they go? I found the spring part in the cam shaft catagory on a parts list but it does not show where it belongs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Attached is a photo of the orphans.

Attachments

• post_0156.jpg
    post_0156.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 35

bfcg

Threads
I have not taken out the cam shaft yet but I get the sick feeling that when I do, I will find that the little "button" looking thing is a broken off piece from the gear.:eek:
I wonder if that has something to do with getting lubrication to the top end and maybe why the engine fried in the first place...

Attachments

• camspring.jpg
    camspring.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 21

bfcg

Threads
Absolutely a very poor design. The gear wheel is steel and that is a good thing but the button thing is some sort of alloy or aluminum that is pressed into a hole in the wheel like a rivet. Well it broke off and got loose in my crank case. The spring is a very light weight spring that takes almost no force what so ever to stretch. The button part comes in no contact with any part of the internals and only serves as a place to attach the end of the spring. Aside from defect, what could possibly cause the button to break off? The part that the spring actuates, is that part of the lubrication system ? It seems to serve as a way to keep oil up or in the cam shaft when the engine is not running. It opens on centrifugal force?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Absolutely a very poor design. The gear wheel is steel and that is a good thing but the button thing is some sort of alloy or aluminum that is pressed into a hole in the wheel like a rivet. Well it broke off and got loose in my crank case. The spring is a very light weight spring that takes almost no force what so ever to stretch. The button part comes in no contact with any part of the internals and only serves as a place to attach the end of the spring. Aside from defect, what could possibly cause the button to break off? The part that the spring actuates, is that part of the lubrication system ? It seems to serve as a way to keep oil up or in the cam shaft when the engine is not running. It opens on centrifugal force?

Its the decompressor spring which would attach to the decompressor.
It helps starting by taking excess pressure out of the engine through one of the valves.
If you didnt have this, the engine wouldnt go past compression stroke of the engine.
Once started centrifugal force takes it away so you dont need it.

bfcg

Threads
This is what a local guy told me.....Compression release and without the functionality of this, the engine will rev out of control and $#it will fly. This is what controls the governor. Well I was advised to replace the cam and not to tap and repair to a better design. I like Pugaltitudes reply better. A local repair guy told me that this damage was very uncommon and that I
should be able to trust a new one even though it is a crappy design. My instincts tell me to make it better and if it were a Porsche engine, I would.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Time for a new engine!!! Check out Small Engine Warehouse and Tulsa Engine Warehouse for repower options. I've done business with both but I prefer Tulsa Engine Warehouse. I strongly recommend the the replacement engine have the two stage particle separating air filter. You have several options in Kawis, however the crankshaft length may limit your choices. I probably would stay away from the Kawi 601 series and more horsepower won't hurt. The TEW folks are great to chat with and will have the most current list of options. Probably better to stay with Kawi as the electrical systems differ between engine manufacturers.
Mad Mackie in CT :biggrin::laughing:

bfcg

Threads
Time for a new engine!!! Check out Small Engine Warehouse and Tulsa Engine Warehouse for repower options. I've done business with both but I prefer Tulsa Engine Warehouse. I strongly recommend the the replacement engine have the two stage particle separating air filter. You have several options in Kawis, however the crankshaft length may limit your choices. I probably would stay away from the Kawi 601 series and more horsepower won't hurt.
Mad Mackie in CT :biggrin::laughing:

Thanks for the advice but to me it sounds more like time for a re-build and a 25hp upgrade mod.
Parts ordered

KIT.,CAMSHAFT-COMP
SHAFT-CARBURETOR
JOINT (nipple)
COOLER-OIL
RING-O
ROD-ASSY-CONNECTING (2)
PISTON-ENGINE (2)
GASKET (2 intake)
GASKET-HEAD (2)
GASKET,CRANKCASE COVE
SEAL-OIL,SD 35X62X8 L

I'll report back after completion

Thanks for the replies.:smile:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Frankly, if there were ever enough reasons to not rebuild this engine you have them. I don't see a crankshaft on you list, broken rods!!
Mad Mackie in CT