Export thread

Foot Switch Wiring?

T

takirc02

I have a 2005 Simplicity Broadmoor with a 16 HP Kohler engine (model #1693580) that starts and runs fine...starter solenoid wasn't disengaging when I turned off the key, so I swapped it out this past weekend. That now appears to be fixed.

However...I rode it into the garage to do the work, made the swap, but then tried to ride it outand now the forward and reverse pedal won't work at all?!?!? My first thought was that this is mechanical rather than electrical, but I checked the hydro release, visually inspected the food pedal and rod...all looks good. The only thing I did from the time forward/reverse was working until now is replace the starter solenoid so I am thinking it has to be electrical.

There is a foot switch wired to the solenoid that I think I must have some how messed up the wiring on, but after triple checking everything, I can't see where I went wrong... the only wires I really could have gotten wrong are switching the wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid (blue/white) and the foot pedal to the solenoid (green/black), I suppose I could have swapped them but I would imagine the engine wouldn't fire if I had done that... or I could have jostled something loose while gaining access to the starter solenoid...please help if you can...thanks.

BTW, Here is the electrical diagram for all of you who are way smarter than me with such things...http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=jgEGGP_ezQ9tG5ERl7mRgtLvBCd6

SONOFADOCKER

SONOFADOCKER

Make sure all the pins line up . I see this at work when the owner steps on that wire harness by accident .

T

takirc02

Make sure all the pins line up . I see this at work when the owner steps on that wire harness by accident .

OK, think I'll grab some dielectric grease and disconnect, reconnect everything one by one, every thing looks clean and the connections look tight but I did have to do a lot of unplugging to gain access to the starter solenoid...the connection terminal to the foot switch is particularly tight, had a hell of a time getting it pulled out, wonder if I could have disconnected it down by the pedal as I was working? Requires some disassembly to actually see the foot switch.

Can someone explain to me how the foot switch and the mechanical rod on the forward reverse pedal actually interact? With the engine running, and the mechanical rod moving on the transmission, I'm having a little trouble understanding how the electrical system even comes into play...The hydro release is purely mechanical, there is nothing electrical about the transmission, without killing the engine, how would an electrical circuit switch prevent the tractor from moving forward or reverse?

For whatever reason, I am having a hard time understanding what is going on here. This is my first foray into lawn mower repair, though I have a decent amount of experience with cars. Thanks...

T

takirc02

OK, think I'll grab some dielectric grease and disconnect, reconnect everything one by one, every thing looks clean and the connections look tight but I did have to do a lot of unplugging to gain access to the starter solenoid...the connection terminal to the foot switch is particularly tight, had a hell of a time getting it pulled out, wonder if I could have disconnected it down by the pedal as I was working? Requires some disassembly to actually see the foot switch.

Can someone explain to me how the foot switch and the mechanical rod on the forward reverse pedal actually interact? With the engine running, and the mechanical rod moving on the transmission, I'm having a little trouble understanding how the electrical system even comes into play...The hydro release is purely mechanical, there is nothing electrical about the transmission, without killing the engine, how would an electrical circuit switch prevent the tractor from moving forward or reverse?

For whatever reason, I am having a hard time understanding what is going on here. This is my first foray into lawn mower repair, though I have a decent amount of experience with cars. Thanks...

Orrrrrr... I will just re-route the drive belt the proper way and then it will work fine. Completely forgot an idler pulley had disintegrated on me prior to deciding to tackle the starter solenoid, tractor was still moving OK so I quickly finished what I was doing and got it to the garage, replaced the idler pulley while I was doing the solenoid and misrouted the drive belt. Seemed like such a simple job, one that I could do in my sleep, I never dreamed I could mess it up...I am an idiot. But all is well now.:ashamed: