Export thread

Flywheel Nut Stuck but Flywheel Spins

M

Matt06

I have a Briggs and Stratton engine on my Weed Eater 22” lawn mower. The flywheel nut will NOT come off. I have seen plenty of videos on how to get it out but all of those flywheels stopped in the opposite direction. My flywheel will freely spin in either direction. I’ve had a second pair of hands to help me steady it but it’s still too seized. Is this screw something that I can safely drill out?

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Strap wrench on flywheel, impact wrench on nut, sometimes you can use a big screwdriver from underneath the flywheel and wedge it against the crankcase. Depends on the underside of the flywheel.

M

Matt06

I’ve already had two bodies fight against each other to loosen this nut. I’m past seized with this nut. Is this something that I can drill out without having to replace any other parts?

Fish

Fish

No, just get someone with an impact wrench, don't use prybars

Fish

Fish

Then, invest in the Briggs puller, after you get the bolt/nut loose.

Fish

Fish

Here, this guys imitates an impact wrench, using a ratchet/socket and a hammer.

M

Matt06

@Fish
I’ve been trying that. But clearly this guy got it to work so I’ll just keep on trying.

Fish

Fish

Yeah, it mimics an impact wrench.
Why are you removing the flywheel?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

If it's a flathead engine, i've used the paracord down the plug hole trick a few times...

S

slomo

That dude was stressing me out in the video. He really sprayed the pen lube, lol. On camera he didn't even get it where it needs to be. Has more tools than common sense.

slomo

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

If the blade is on you can just block it from turning and usually loosen the flywheel nut. Curious why and what you plan to drill to remove flywheel.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

That dude was stressing me out in the video. He really sprayed the pen lube, lol. On camera he didn't even get it where it needs to be. Has more tools than common sense.

slomo
The dude in the video is giving hammer mechanics a bad name. I love it when he pulls a new never used flywheel puller out if the box and acts like he has used it before. Then says "not sure what a diode does" and didn't use a meter to test the stator coil. Electricity may not be his best skillset, but it was entertaining.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I got a headache watching this. As far as winging it goes, I give him a B+.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I got a headache watching this. As far as winging it goes, I give him a B+.
I wonder how he is with fuel injuction?

StarTech

StarTech

I gave up on watching youtube videos as usually I couldn't believe how dumb and dangerous some of them where. Matter of fact I got youtube blocked on this end.

Fish

Fish

slomo
I really didn't watch it. I just scrolled through it to see how he got the bolt/nut loose.
I just zip it off with an impact wrench, but have done the "whacking the ratchet" technique before.

Fish

Fish

I like the videos of the guys taking a half hour to remove a chainsaw flywheel or clutch off of a chainsaw.
Here is one I filmed a while back to show how easy it can be. It was my first attempt at making videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUhcXVMZKt4

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I like the videos of the guys taking a half hour to remove a chainsaw flywheel or clutch off of a chainsaw.
Here is one I filmed a while back to show how easy it can be. It was my first attempt at making videos.

About what i do. If my stihl flywheeel puller doesn't fit i thread the nut back on, dangle the saw by the hoop handle and give it a whack with a brass hammer.

M

Matt06

@Fish
I am trying to remove the flywheel because I believe my engine won’t run. I think I have a broken flywheel key.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

But but but, you didn't spend 10 minutes showing us your animals, give a weather report or any safety tips. LoL

Fish

Fish

But but but, you didn't spend 10 minutes showing us your animals, give a weather report or any safety tips. LoL
I am pretty much clueless on I phones, I was just happy to get a video that wasn't rotated 90 degrees on its side!!

StarTech

StarTech

About what i do. If my stihl flywheeel puller doesn't fit i thread the nut back on, dangle the saw by the hoop handle and give it a whack with a brass hammer.
Ever heard of flywheel knockers? I had several made for my two cycle work as I run into different threads. I just screw them on until they bottom out and back off one turn. Then a good smack of my two pound brass hammer they usuallly jar of the taper shaft. For most the walk behind and larger mower engines I use a harmonic balancer puller.. Tighten up the forcing screw and smack the forcing screw with the brass hammer.

StarTech

StarTech

I am pretty much clueless on I phones, I was just happy to get a video that wasn't rotated 90 degrees on its side!!
I don't even have a cell phone anymore as the service here is so crappy that take one step and you lose the service.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Ever heard of flywheel knockers? I had several made for my two cycle work as I run into different threads. I just screw them on until they bottom out and back off one turn. Then a good smack of my two pound brass hammer they usuallly jar of the taper shaft. For most the walk behind and larger mower engines I use a harmonic balancer puller.. Tighten up the forcing screw and smack the forcing screw with the brass hammer.
Yeah i have a bunch of the briggs knockers and smaller chainsaw knockers but usually just a rap with my small brass hammer and that works. On most bigger engines if i can get just a couple thousandths play i can pop it with a brass hammer. If no play i use a flywheel puller.

StarTech

StarTech

Understand just rapping with the brass hammer but you can still mushroom the crankshaft end sometimes which is why I use those knocker or puller here; which ever is appropriate.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

The don't call me hammer mechanic for nothing you know?
If you can't fix it with ketchup or duck tape you need a hammer.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

The don't call me hammer mechanic for nothing you know?
If you can't fix it with ketchup or duck tape you need a hammer.
Ketchup, that's a new one for me!! ?

Fish

Fish

I have always been a big fan of knockers!

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I am sensing a little double entendre there.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I am sensing a little double entendre there.
A little fishy.....

S

slomo

It's 2020 now. You can turn your cell phone and get a full screen wide video image.

slomo

Fish

Fish

Yeah, I need to kidnap a teenager, to show me how to work the damn thing.