Float pin in lawn mower carburetor works loose

sawdust298

Forum Newbie
Threads
I seek a solution to remedy loosening float pin in Craftsman Lawnmower (about 18 mos. old). The carburetor is plastic. Pin that hold the float works loose. I welcome suggestions. Any chance this is a design flaw that Sears will correct? Thanks. I know one of you mechanical geniuses will have an answer.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

sawdust298

Forum Newbie
Threads
Post complete model number, thanks. A roll pin from hardware store should work, take part with you for proper fit, a small hammer & punch will be needed to install roll pin.
Mower details are:Craftsman Mower with Briggs & Stratton Gold OHV 140cc engine
Mower model (Craftsman #) is 247.370100
Briggs & Stratton Engine Model is 90P702 0007 F1

The float pin is not held by eyes, but an open circular slot. I fear that a roller pin would merely expand the plastic part until that pin also loosened. I was thinking about using some thin stainless steel or other non-corrosive wire to lock the pin in place. I would likely need to file an indentation in the pin for the wire to hold and to also drill a very small hole (1/32" or less) to insert the wire. Any thoughts? Many thanks for great ideas.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

I'm going to move this thread over to our Craftsman section.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Engine number does not work so I will say this. That pin is supposed to be lose. It will come out with only a tiny push. What holds the pin in place is the bowl when put on carb. If it is coming out it is too short. The length of the pin is measures from the outside of the farest left side hole to the bowl rim. That way it can not come out of the holes it is in. The pin can and does move but should not come out when bowl is on.