Float Issue, Lawn Boy

kennethj

Forum Newbie
Threads
To make a long story short I was fortunate to buy a Lawn Boy model 10314 for $ 20.00 which looks like new. (I could not believe that the seller was only asking $ 15.00 for it, I gave him a $20.00 bill and either of us had change. I was more than glad to tell him to keep the $5.00). The seller told me that it was not used for about five years. He stated that he took the carp apart and cleaned it, but he could not get it to run. I have some experience with small engines and it appears to me that he had bent the float somehow and that because of that it made it impossible for gas to enter into the bowl. I bent the foot on the float and this issue was corrected. The mower runs great. I only ran it for about a minute or so. I attempted to find what the proper setting should be, however could not find any information on the proper setting. My concern is that could the improper float adjustment cause a lean mixture which could melt a hole in the piston? I also thought about a rich mixture of gas going into the engine, but I would think that this would have been apparent when I connected the fuel line and seen no gas overflowing into the Carburetors throat.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
By the way, I truly believe that a two cycle Lawn Boy was the best mower ever made

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Set the float level with the base of the carb. Does the carb have a plastic body with four screws holding the two halves together, if so, a LB has been sitting that long will have a gummed up idle passages. There should be a small jet on the side of the carb which will need to be taken out and cleaned. Make sure that all small orifaces are open. This jet may be under a decal on the left side of the carb.