Fixcut Install

Dimdem

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't seem to be having good luck with the Fixcut head that I got for my Stihl trimmer. The trimmer runs fine, but with the replacement head on it just doesn't seem to be cutting worth a darn. As best I can tell the problem is that the Fixcut head is sufficiently loose that it slows down as soon as the line starts making contact with the grass. I don't know what to do about this except to torque down more, but the manual specifically warns against overtightening. I am probably making a bonehead mistake here, but what bonehead mistake?

lakeviewpe

Threads
Which Stihl trimmer are you installing the head on and which fixcut head is it. You do have to have the head tight enough so that the head spins a the shaft turns it, not on its own. Also you do not want to make it too tight to where it restricts the shaft from turning and causes it to bind up. There are different fuxcuts for different models, so you do have to make sure you have the one for your trimmer.

Dimdem

Forum Newbie
Threads
The trimmer is an FS 40C, and the Fixcut is a 5-2. I went by their webpage on which to get.

lakeviewpe

Threads
ok so you put the head on, then the thrust washer and then the nut. I use this head much or really recommend it, due to the bump heads being easy enough to respool. When using the bump heads it is good to use a quality trimmer line that does not melt to itself so that it will feed out better. Stihl makes their own trimmer line and it is what I sell the most of. Most of the other lines out there are made by the same manufacturer and then packaged for different distributors.

Dimdem

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll take a look and make sure that I had the pieces in the right order. I was on the fence about getting it and was pushed over by the fact that I had a large spool of .95 (I think... orange, anyway) line left over from a previous trimmer that I could use with the Fixcut but not with the standard head.

Dimdem

Forum Newbie
Threads
Right now I'm ready to give up and take the Fixcut off, but I can't get the thrust plate off.

lakeviewpe

Threads
Stick a pin in the hole in order to lock the shaft. The hole is on the top of the gearbox. after locking the shaft, the nut will come off.

Dimdem

Forum Newbie
Threads
The tip about locking the shaft turned out to be the key. That's what was keeping me from getting the Fixcut installed tightly enough in the first place. (I had been trying to hold the thrust plate in place with a strap wrench.) See, like I said, bonehead mistake. Thanks for the help.