Finding a new deck belt

Rifleman85

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1998 Simplicity Legacy with the Kawasaki motor and 60in deck. My deck belt is old and stretched and needs replaced. Via an online manual for my model, I have found the part number for a new belt which is 1716959. When I search for this, a few links show up. Some are in the $100 dollar range, others in the $30 dollar range. I'm a little unsure of who to trust, so can anyone recommend a trusted site to order this from?

Also, in the manual the part number is clearly stated as above. However, multiple sites list that same part number but with an "sm" on the end. Can anyone explain that and what it means? Is it different than my part number or still the same?

Thanks in advance for any info and tips.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The SM is just the superceded number of your belt after Briggs took over Simplicity. Partstree,which can be pricy, Jacks small engines and Messicks would all be safe places to get what you need.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
First, make sure that you have the correct part number for your belt. Your mower has a model number and a serial number on it somewhere. Those numbers and the part number from the owner’s manual will confirm the correct part number.
I wouldn’t go cheap on a mower belt.
Parts Tree is a good place to order from.
Messick’s is another.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay did you use the 7 digit model when you look up the mower and there maybe a different model number for the deck too?

I would need these number even start to look the equipment at Briggs dealer support site.

Currently the 1716959SM is coming back as a Hex HAA Kevlar belt at 130 inches. Be careful some those cheap belts are just standard "HA" v-belts and some are not even Kevlar corded which you need for deck belts.

Rifleman85

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry I’m late responding here, I thought I had email notifications set up to let me know when new posts here arrive.

According to the tag on my frame, my MFG number is 1692871 and the serial number is 50399. The part number in the manual is as listed above. You guys are passing along great info, I appreciate it!!