Finally Bit the Bullet on a New Mower

Steve0853

Threads
My son and I cut a little grass on the side and have used a Grasshopper 225 for the last 5 years.

We have shopped around for about the last year and knew that when we made a lawnmower upgrade, it would be the Turf Tiger.

Well, we finally had a problem with the Grasshopper that we couldn't fix in a couple days and made the decision to go ahead and get our Scag. It will be delivered Thursday.

They are fine machines. I can't wait to put in into service.

Mad Mackie and Kenny, are there any things that I should do or know about before I start using it? Also, I would welcome an answer from anybody else with knowledge.

It is going to be the 31 hp air cooled Kohler with a 61 inch deck.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Steve,
Nice machine, a few of my commercial friends have Turf Tigers and love them, several have more than one.
Read and understand the Scag and engine operators manuals. Reread them!!! Turf Tigers have an engine with a horizontal crankshaft. This makes for a different setup from most ZTRs which have vertical crankshaft engine setups. Most maintenance on Turf Tigers is easier to perform due to the engine orientation.
If this is your first ZTR then it will take a while to get accustomed to a ZTR. As you get more familiar with this machine your mowing time will will decrease. Bear in mind that this machine has caster front wheels and you have no control of them. What this means is that ZTRs can slide sideways fairly easily while mowing on hills. Read and understand the cautions in the Scag operators manual.
The deck blades are held in place with a long bolt that comes up from underneath, thru the center of the spindle and held in place with a nut on the top of the spindle. These bolts/nuts are torqued to 75 FT LBs. Periodic removal and reinstallation of the blade bolts/nuts will reduce the corrosion problem that can set in. I use a 1/2" drive impact wrench to remove the nuts and dry torque them to 75 FT LBs. The machine must be raised up to provide clearance for the blade bolts to come out of the spindles.
There is a special grease that is recommended for the spindle housings. There also may other different greases recommended for the Turf Tigers.
Enjoy your new machine!!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi again Steve,
Just did a search for Grasshopper 225 and I see that it is a ZTR and similar configuration to the Turf Tiger. I've never seen any model of Grasshoppers and not familiar with them at all.
Enjoy your new machine!!
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin:

Steve0853

Threads
Thanks Mackie.

Yes, down here, Grasshoppers were one of Scag's main competitors. They still make a fine machine, but I felt the Scag would better suit my needs.

I'll be keeping the Grasshopper, but it will only be used as a backup.

The demo machine I used all day today was a TT with a 29 HP Kohler liquid cooled. It did a great job. My old Grasshopper was a 25 HP Kohler. The difference in power was noticeable.