Ferris Hydraulic Tank Leaking

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep that is the factory hose based on what I have seen on others. The hose is fairly stiff. The worm drive clamps I have no idea if original. I ordered a new grommet. reinstalled it and have used a few zip ties to contort the hose into a way that doesn't but as much pressure on the tank and grommet. So far it is working. I have an extra grommet and if it leaks again I may try the JB weld route.
Or degrease the snot out of it and slather on come clear GE 100% silicone. Much easier to remove than JB.

slomo

Last edited:

MugShot

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had the same issue on my new Ferris Procut S 61. Always garaged and maintained well. Started leaking after 150 hours or so. Really poor design for a pricey mower! Thought about threading up a replacement bulkhead fitting but couldn’t come up with a good setup. I went with Slomo’s suggestion. Pulled the tank, pulled the grommet, degreased everything and put a small bead of JB Weld two-part epoxy for plastic around the grommet and reinstalled it. Works great! Thanks, Slomo!
I am having the same problem. Oil spilling all over the battery and beyond (Terrible design). I replaced the grommet with a new one, but it is still leaking like the president's diaper at the Vatican. Anyway, any chance you (or anyone) can guide me a little better on how to apply the plastic JB Weld? If I understand correctly, I need to remove, drain, clean, and dry the reservoir. Then scuff up the plastic around the outside of the hole and apply the JB. Is the goal to just make the hole a little smaller so that the rubber grommet has a tighter fit? That seems to make sense, but how narrow am it trying to make it? The grommet still has to fit in it. Or are we trying to make the grommet adhere to the tank so that the connection is no longer slightly flexible? I don't think we would want it "glued" together as it is supposed to allow for the play/vibration of the hose while in use. My goal is is do both methods suggested in this thread as this 15w-50 stuff ain't cheap and I'm not trying to continue on having the most lubricated battery. I will align the hose and secure with zip ties,w but I also want to make sure that I properly do the JB fix. Thanks for any help.

Ferris IS1500Z Model 5900607 Regarding 5061712 oil reservoir with 5023121 Grommet leak

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am having the same problem. Oil spilling all over the battery and beyond (Terrible design). I replaced the grommet with a new one, but it is still leaking like the president's diaper at the Vatican. Anyway, any chance you (or anyone) can guide me a little better on how to apply the plastic JB Weld? If I understand correctly, I need to remove, drain, clean, and dry the reservoir. Then scuff up the plastic around the outside of the hole and apply the JB. Is the goal to just make the hole a little smaller so that the rubber grommet has a tighter fit? That seems to make sense, but how narrow am it trying to make it? The grommet still has to fit in it. Or are we trying to make the grommet adhere to the tank so that the connection is no longer slightly flexible? I don't think we would want it "glued" together as it is supposed to allow for the play/vibration of the hose while in use. My goal is is do both methods suggested in this thread as this 15w-50 stuff ain't cheap and I'm not trying to continue on having the most lubricated battery. I will align the hose and secure with zip ties,w but I also want to make sure that I properly do the JB fix. Thanks for any help.

Ferris IS1500Z Model 5900607 Regarding 5061712 oil reservoir with 5023121 Grommet leak

The last one I did, I replaced the reservoir. But kept the old one around just to tinker with. I took a pretty good size bolt with a washer that just barely fit into the hole where the grommet went. Then heated up with a heat gun (slowly and gently) and just sort of pulled it straight on a couple of different places where it was warped. The guy I sold it to never came back to let me know if it worked or not. So I can only assume it did.