Fb460v starter not engaging

Gator01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, I have a John Deer tractor with a fb460v and the starter takes about 5 tries before engaging and cranking. On the bench, the solenoid throws out the bendix and the starter spins well every time. When bolted up and clicking the voltage on the starter to battery wire is 12 volts and the solenoid to starter wire is zero. I replaced the solenoid and same thing. Thinking there was possibly some binding keeping the bendix from engaging all the way into the flywheel I lubed it up a bit but no change. I even tried installing a shim between the starter and block ( remember old GM starters?) and no help. Any ideas?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I'd look into getting a JD starter improvement relay kit.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Let me ask what be a couple stupid questions. First this assuming a solenoid shift starter is involved.

Does the solenoid even attempts to engage the starter or is there no action at all?

The kit will only help if the solenoid is trying to engage but just doesn't have voltage and current on the solenoid trigger wire.

geelee

Threads
there is voltage drop at the solenoid due to multiple connection in the system. it doesnt shift properly. the cure is a relay kit

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
is it a true bendix, or a lever driven gear? If a lever sometimes the pivot screw can wear. Also always check the voltage from the battery negative post to the engine block where the starter bolts up to make sure that there is not a ground issue somewhere.

theoldwizard1

Threads
Slightly different Kawasaki engine, but same problem. My friend have the starter replaced last year and the lack of engagement came back. Not exactly certain what the root cause was, but cleaning/polishing the shaft the Bendix gear rides on and some light lube helped. So did clean the ground wire to chassis (excessive voltage drop at the starter when cranking).

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
You don't really need the JD kit just a solenoid for the inertia drive starter. Run a 10 gauge wire from the battery wire terminal on the starter to one of the big post on the other solenoid and another wire from the other big post to where the exciter wire was hooked when you pull it off the engine starter and hook it to the exciter terminal on the inertia drive solenoid. Cheap easy fix. All you need is the solenoid some wire and a few terminals. Oh yes you need a place to mount the remote solenoid. But it works.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
But it is so much easier to use the relay kit like this one. And produces a much cleaner (professional) repair look.
1656929410803.png
Starter Relay Kit