Faulty voltage regulator?

rinse

Threads
Would a faulty voltage regulator on a FD731V-BS00 cause relays to blow and the fuse for the charging system to blow?
This started a few weeks ago, I replaced the relays and it ran for two weeks, they popped again and replaced the relays then ran for about 10 mins before they blew. When I went to remove the relay they were very hot to the touch. Grounds are good, checked wiring and I can’t find a wire that is grounding out. The engine is on a ferris is3100.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
it is possible but you need to do a running voltage test to verify that this is happening.

Last edited:

txmowman

Threads
Likely a loose or corroded connection in the charging circuit. This, or a short to ground is why fuses fail. It is amperage, not voltage. It might be possible for the voltage regulator to short internally, but this would be rare on a solid state component. Any relays would be mower side, not engine.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What relay for what circuit? Sounds like you have several circuits drawing excessive current (getting hot) popping fuses and relays. You need the wiring schematic to pinpoint all this chaos.

You can also use one of those IR surface temp guns to measure heat or in this case excessive heat. One relay is say 10 degrees above ambient. The other offender is say 80F hotter for example. The hotter one is your offender.

1660219294278.png

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
There's your dinner...