Export thread

FasTrak or FasTrak SD for 1 acre homeowner?

D

dshoffman77

i have just a bit over 1 acre, and will probably only cut my yard and maybe a few others during the summer to earn a few extra bucks.

Is there any REAL difference between the two models and is the FR vs FX engine worth the extra dollars?

S

Shughes717

i have just a bit over 1 acre, and will probably only cut my yard and maybe a few others during the summer to earn a few extra bucks.

Is there any REAL difference between the two models and is the FR vs FX engine worth the extra dollars?

There is a real difference in the two, but the fr engine is fine for what you are mowing. It is designed for residential use where as the fx was designed for heavy duty use. Unless you are planning to mow 20 lawns the size of yours each week you don't need the fx engine. You would probably be fine with the raptor or raptor sd if you wanted to save more money, but I would probably go with the fastrack if I were in your shoes too.

M

MRCo.

A Raptor SD would be more than enough for you, so the FR endowed Fastrak would be more than enough. Great mower, best hill sticker I've ridden.

S

Shughes717

A Raptor SD would be more than enough for you, so the FR endowed Fastrak would be more than enough. Great mower, best hill sticker I've ridden.

I agree that the raptor sd or the fastrak would be more than enough mower for the op, but I can't say that either are the best "hill stickers". Any other zero turn with more weight and bigger wheel motors will hold a hill much better than either of them.

M

MRCo.

I agree that the raptor sd or the fastrak would be more than enough mower for the op, but I can't say that either are the best "hill stickers". Any other zero turn with more weight and bigger wheel motors will hold a hill much better than either of them.
The Fastrak totally outperform a Scag Turf Tiger and Cub Tank which weigh much more. It's to just weight but distribution of it. I also think the Hustler smooth trak steering helps as its less grabby and tends to not break traction due to jerky movements. My experience, anyway.

S

Shughes717

The Fastrak totally outperform a Scag Turf Tiger and Cub Tank which weigh much more. It's to just weight but distribution of it. I also think the Hustler smooth trak steering helps as its less grabby and tends to not break traction due to jerky movements. My experience, anyway.

No way a fastrak would out perform a turf tiger or a tank. They are much better mowers with better drive trains, but come with a big price tag as well. If you were comparing a super z to them then I would agree.

D

Dave1954

Both are good mowers from my research I was doing, im sure they would serve you well, fx motor is a plus, but fr seems to be great too.

R

Randyj266

dshoffman,

What is the terrain that you will be servicing? Flat, some hills, sides of mountains???

RetiredGuns

RetiredGuns

Geez, I cut 1 acre all summer long with a Raptor 42 and half of it was weeds and rough terrain. Besides being bounced around on the rough half, it handled it fine and never let me down. I would think a FasTrak would tackle it with ease and then some.

S

Shughes717

Geez, I cut 1 acre all summer long with a Raptor 42 and half of it was weeds and rough terrain. Besides being bounced around on the rough half, it handled it fine and never let me down. I would think a FasTrak would tackle it with ease and then some.

Totally agree. I mentioned to the op that the raptor or the raptor sd would handle the job with no problems if he wanted to save a little more money.

ztrjim

ztrjim

I think a Hustler Raptor SD would be more than sufficient for you. They are built well, have strong fabricated cutting decks and have great cut quality. For the money you cannot go wrong and the 3 year consumer warranty..... Hustler also offers some great attachments.

mhavanti

mhavanti

I live amongst 3 Z's and my poor ole SD60 cuts my 1 acre faster than the three Zs that have from a third acre to 3/8 acres. Mine is the 60 as I mentioned and theirs are 48s. They can run circles around me on a flat surface, but, the width has made up the difference along with the softer upgrade seat you get on the SD60. So, I can cut wide open and they have to cut at about quarter of their capability to keep their eyeballs and teeth in their heads.

All the grounds are less than a year old and the sod seams are still shrunken and makes a rough ride for us all. Earl spring, I'm spreading another 20 yards of tilled top soil over my sod to smooth out the ride and speed it up even more.

I don't think the cut could be any better for any amount of money spent.

S

Skid Shear

Greetings,

New member here, looking at buying first ZTR. I'm considering a new Raptor SD vs a 2012 Fast Trak SD w/120+ hours. Both 48" and priced similarly. Cutting a couple of acres of native grasses on flat land with occasional rocks. Not sure of the difference in the Kawasaki FR vs FX engines, or the HydroGear 2800 vs 3100?

Any insight would be appreciated....

SS

mhavanti

mhavanti

Greetings,

New member here, looking at buying first ZTR. I'm considering a new Raptor SD vs a 2012 Fast Trak SD w/120+ hours. Both 48" and priced similarly. Cutting a couple of acres of native grasses on flat land with occasional rocks. Not sure of the difference in the Kawasaki FR vs FX engines, or the HydroGear 2800 vs 3100?

Any insight would be appreciated....

SS

You're going to get varying opinions on this topic. I went to the store to purchase a Fastrack 54. The shop owner told me to take a close look at the Raptor since I only have less than an acre.

I hadn't given any thought to anything less than the Fastrack. However, he'd sold several Raptors and was impressed with them. I looked atthe SD 48, 54 and 60. Bang for the buck is hands down the 60. Storing a 60 can be challenging and my floor space on yhe bottom floor of my Garage Mahal is 1420 feet. Other than that, I wouldn't swap the SD60 for the difference of cost in the Fastrack although I would like to have a Fastrack adjustment.

Good luck with your purchase.

S

Skid Shear

Thanks for the input.

I'm wrong, the Raptor is a 54" and the Fast Trak SD is 48". Either will do the job for me, the 60" would probably be too wide for my use.

I've done some research on the differences in the Kawasaki engines, the FX is worth any difference in $ from what I can tell. The fact that it has 120+ hours should won't be a deterrent, given the quality of the engine, if it has been maintained as expected.

SS

mhavanti

mhavanti

Enjoy your purchase.

Happy New Year!

G

gabowman

Well, I went with the Super Duty and am cutting about 1.5 ac. of grass. I got a SUPER DEAL on it, along with other reasons for buying the SD mower, but for now it's just my lawn to mow. I love it! If you have the funds I say get the SD. You'll be happy.:)