Fastrak, Fastrak SDX or Bad Boy Maverick HD

cashandprizes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all. I'm new here and need to pick up a new mower in the next week. I've got a few options, based on inventory, from local dealers who have great reputations. I'm wanting to buy a machine that will last for a LONG time. It will be well taken care of and not overworked. We only have 2 wide open acres and it's relatively flat, but one side of it often gets wet from pasture runoff. My biggest issue with my old residential zero turn was that if the grass didn't get cut every week, then the deck had trouble getting the grass out and the yard became very "clumpy". We've had a lot of rain this summer and my hard has looked like trash as a result. I don't want to have to deal with that again. Local options with prices before tax are:

Huster Fastrak (FT) 54": $7000
Hustler Fastrak SDX (FX) 60": $8500
Bad Boy Maverick HD 54" (24 hp EFI): $8250

I wasn't originally looking for a 60", but one is available. My only concern with it is that my son may cut a few yards here and there for extra money. It may not fit through gates of course, but I'm not convinced a 54" will fit through many either. I welcome your opinions. I've researched these a ton and just I am sure I'm overthinking this! HA! I'm wondering if the regular Fastrak would do just fine or if I should step it up to be sure? At one point, I thought I was dead set on a Maverick HD, but found 1 Youtube video of a guy showing MANY things wrong with that mower at a dealership. So now I'm questioning it. Thanks in advance!

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
All three are good units.
The Bad Boy Maverick HD with the Honda EFI is something that I would avoid. The Honda engine is to new to the market to recommend. The Maverick HD also comes with a carbureted Kohler Command. I would recommend it over the Honda EFI. Plus the Kohler equipped model will cost less.
The Hustler Fastrak SDX is a solid unit and would be a great choice.
The standard Fastrak is also a good unit. You will need to do more maintenance to the air filter on the Kawasaki FT engine. It comes with a air filter that has a foam prefilter that will need to be washed and oiled every 25 hours.
The Kawasaki FX and Kohler Command have dual Donaldson air filter and those are top notch.

fixit1ddh

Threads
Not sure if You know this but the company that ownes MTD also bought hustler few year's back. I own 2 cub zero turns MTD also. And they have been great. MTD makes low cost equipment. To some very commercial equipment. Bad boy seems to make good units but don't personally know anyone that owns one.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure if You know this but the company that ownes MTD also bought hustler few year's back. I own 2 cub zero turns MTD also. And they have been great. MTD makes low cost equipment. To some very commercial equipment. Bad boy seems to make good units but don't personally know anyone that owns one.
Stanley/Black and Decker bought both MTD and Excel Industries (Hustler and Big Dog). I doubt there will be any cheapening of the Hustler and Big Dog commercial units. There will probably be some changes to the residential units.

Travis R.

Forum Newbie
Threads
I decided on the SDX this morning. Thanks all.
How do you like this mower? I’m interested in the regular Fastrak 60/ Kawasaki or the SDX 60/ Kawasaki. Thank You

cashandprizes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Love it! It's FAST and has really cut down on how long it takes to knock out my yard. I had a 48" Big Dog, and this engine is so much faster. I'm very happy thus far.

Travis R.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Love it! It's FAST and has really cut down on how long it takes to knock out my yard. I had a 48" Big Dog, and this engine is so much faster. I'm very happy thus far.
I traded in my 5 month old 2021 Hustler Fastrak 48 today, 01-10-2023, on a new 2022 Fastrak SDX 60. It has the Kawasaki FX730V engine. I’m really looking forward to cutting this Spring. I’ll be cutting 3 to 4 acres. I don’t cut commercially.