Exmark Quest 42" - Intermittent hesitation when trying to move

Travis_1979

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Exmark Quest 42" - Intermittent hesitation when trying to move
My Exmark Quest 42" riding mower is several years old and last weekend when I was mowing, there were times when the mower would hesitate and move very slowly when accelerating or going in reverse if I had stopped completely and wanted to change direction. If I let off the foot pedal completely and then tried again, it would accelerate or go in reverse just fine. I also noticed it would have difficulty sometimes going up steeper inclines. The engine itself didn't hesitate and was running great, it was just that the mower wouldn't accelerate or go in reverse like it normally should every time. I especially noticed the issue if I had the steering wheel turned a majority of the way one direction or the other and tried to accelerate. A picture of my mower for reference is attached. Thanks for any suggestions!

Attachments

• Exmark - 42.jpg
    Exmark - 42.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 2

mitchstein443

Threads
sounds like the clutch is not fully engaging right away... oil up the linkage (i like to pb blaster or wd40), check it for an adjustment maybe it needs to be tightened or the drive belt mybe worn or strecthed and need replacement or adjustment. also there should be a large spring which engages the belt. make sure it is putting enough pressure to fully engage the drive pulley, if not replace..

Most likely it is rust on the clutch linkage or a worn/stretched belt.. those are the first two things I'd check/replace, then go after the pulleys being free nd the spring..

Travis_1979

Forum Newbie
Threads
sounds like the clutch is not fully engaging right away... oil up the linkage (i like to pb blaster or wd40), check it for an adjustment maybe it needs to be tightened or the drive belt mybe worn or strecthed and need replacement or adjustment. also there should be a large spring which engages the belt. make sure it is putting enough pressure to fully engage the drive pulley, if not replace..

Most likely it is rust on the clutch linkage or a worn/stretched belt.. those are the first two things I'd check/replace, then go after the pulleys being free nd the spring..
Okay, thank you. I'll check on the points you recommended.

Born2Mow

Threads
My Exmark Quest 42" riding mower is several years old .....
Could also be old, hardened belts slipping in the pulleys. There is far more load when the steering is turned, rather than when straight. The extra load could be just that extra bit it takes to make the belt(s) give up. Are the belts extra shiny and/or show cracking on the inside (the small face side) ??

Might be time to fit some new OEM belts, not Chinese junk off Amazon.

Travis_1979

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could also be old, hardened belts slipping in the pulleys. There is far more load when the steering is turned, rather than when straight. The extra load could be just that extra bit it takes to make the belt(s) give up. Are the belts extra shiny and/or show cracking on the inside (the small face side) ??

Might be time to fit some new OEM belts, not Chinese junk off Amazon.
I'll check the belt tomorrow as well...thanks!

Born2Mow

Threads
I'm not totally familiar with your mower, but usually there are 2 belts... 1 for the blades and 1 for the drive. Save yourself an extra trip and simply buy both.

Hope this helps.