Exmark phazer, engine cuts out after it warms up

marshallscag

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 19hp Kawasaki 580 that cuts out after that it warms up. Thought it was a low oil sensor, but oil level is fine. This mower is in great shape and has not seen a lot of hours. under 300. So not sure why this would be happening.

Any ideas?

freeme

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 19hp Kawasaki 580 that cuts out after that it warms up. Thought it was a low oil sensor, but oil level is fine. This mower is in great shape and has not seen a lot of hours. under 300. So not sure why this would be happening.

Any ideas?
Ignition Coil or
maybe vapor lock fuel did you replace your fuel filter do it get moved to close to the engine

marshallscag

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am downloading the manuals now, but I do not believe that it is overheating. It only takes about 3 to 4 minutes for this to happen. It begins to sputter and then in about 30 seconds it dies. After it cools off for a few minutes I can start the same process over again. I am going replace the fuel filter and if that does not solve it, I believe that I am going to change the coil.

Thanks

Bicklebok

Threads
Let us know what you find out.

As a side note to your maintenance, you may want to pull the sheet metal and clean the cooling fins, whether it is overheating or not. I pulled mine off with only 300 hours and the cooling fins were completely blocked with debris. Pretty crappy it was that bad with only 350 hours, but seems to be a common problem with the FH580V,

allenb4473

Threads
Ive got the same engine on mine and had the exact same issue. It turned out to by the fuel cutoff solenoid in the carb. I had a guy disable it for me and now it runs fine with the exception of the occasional backfire when you kill the ignition.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
I pulled off my cooling fins at 450 hours and they were blocked with miscellaneous debris. I had the same problem and I cleaned them and it fixed the problem. I check mine every 300 hours and clean them.

djacks44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Seems that Exmark has recognized the problem of vapor lock. I was recently at the local Exmark dealer and several new units have the gas line wrapped in a "reflective/insulated" cover to protect it from the heat. Have a brother in law that had a similar problem with an old farm tractor and wrapped the gas line in aluminum foil which solved the problem for him. All that being said, if there is debris in your cooling fan housing you need to address that as it is affecting more than your vapor lock.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
Seems that Exmark has recognized the problem of vapor lock. I was recently at the local Exmark dealer and several new units have the gas line wrapped in a "reflective/insulated" cover to protect it from the heat. Have a brother in law that had a similar problem with an old farm tractor and wrapped the gas line in aluminum foil which solved the problem for him. All that being said, if there is debris in your cooling fan housing you need to address that as it is affecting more than your vapor lock.

I just picked up a project Lazer Z from 2004, 955 hrs. It needs a lot of work, and it has the same problem. This thing is a mix-match. I'll have to put some Insul-Tape around the fuel line and see if that will solve the problem.

I checked all the cooling fans in all my Exmark's yesterday, they are all clean.

marshallscag

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sooo an update on this. I actually have 2 machines with this same engine. Both of these were having issues. The first one was solved by cleaning out the cooling fins. The motor that I originally posted about is still having the same issues and the cooling fins were not dirty. I think i will check on the fuel cutoff solenoid and put some foil tape around the fuel line.

Thanks,