Exmark Lazer-Z Towing vs ATV or Other Mower Towing

Caleb Hummell

Forum Newbie
Threads
First time poster, here.

I have an opinion question about mower towing capacity.

I have a 2014 Exmark Lazer-Z E-Series, 60" deck, Kawasaki FX730V engine. I bought it new in 2015 from the dealer because I'd had several crappy consumer mowers, and it has been a great investment. Unfortunately, according to the manual, its towing capacity is limited to 80 pounds--which is absolutely useless. The tow hitch kit has a plaque which reads "Maximum Drawbar Pull 80lbs. Excessive drawbar pull may cause hydrostatic transmission failure".

A couple of years ago I bought a 2016 Yamaha Grizzly ATV so I'd have something to pull a 20 cu.ft. garden cart that I use around the place. I was concerned about over-taxing the Exmark, since the steel garden cart alone weighs 170 pounds, but the Grizz is far more machine than I need.

I mow about 4-5 acres, depending on time of year, so I need a big mower. But, I also need something that will tow because we live on 10 acres with plenty of perimeter trees, an old orchard, etc., so I'm constantly hauling wood and other stuff.

Here's my issue/dilemma: I'm considering selling both the Exmark and the Grizzly and putting the money into a new commercial mower that has substantial (300lbs, at least) towing capacity. I figure I can get more than $10k total for both of my existing machines.

Am I thinking about this correctly? If so, recommendations on a commercial mower that can tow? I'd also need one that's very reliable since I've had both knees replaced and just can't do the kind of maintenance I used to do.

Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are on the right track, as Z-turns are not designed for towing. As for recommendations for what to replace it with, I recommend seriously looking at the Kubota BX or B series of tractors. Will easily do the jobs you describe, plus more down the road.

bkeller500

Threads
I'm sure it varies by brand, but I have read that a ZT with 3100 transaxles or above can tow a weight equal to 1/2 of the combined weight of the machine and the operator. I would check with a dealer for clarification if I was going to purchase a new unit, but you might be OK as is.