Exmark ECXHN21 with Honda GXV160 coil question

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove the kill wire and get spark. No spark when connected. So looking at the diagram, it seems there's a "spring switch" that I'm guessing kills the mower when the engine brake lever is released.
Well, the engine brake, with the lever released isn't stopping the engine at all. And I'm guessing the switch is bad. Because it keeps running when the brake lever is released.

Question is, do I replace the brake pad and the switch as well? Or is there something I'm missing?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I hope you wasn't asking for a pic of the coil and the wire going to it. Because I've already covered it back up. This thing is a pain to get to.
BTW, the customer shows up, I tell him what's wrong with it. He says "Can I choke it to kill it?" LMAO.. So, I say "Yeah, I suppose so, but you'll have to take the breather cover off to get to the carb. He says, OK, I'll just do that. But he wants me to buy the parts and let me install them later.
i20201009_122916.jpg

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Before you let it go to the customer get the parts paid for up front unless you really trust the guy. I have certain customers i will order parts for like that but if it is Joe off the street i get the money up front. Trust me. Don't learn the hard way.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Before you let it go to the customer get the parts paid for up front unless you really trust the guy. I have certain customers i will order parts for like that but if it is Joe off the street i get the money up front. Trust me. Don't learn the hard way.

Thanks for the heads up. But I'm already schooled in that area. Even reliable customers drop the ball sometimes. Just last week it happened.

Born2Mow

Threads
Remove the kill wire and get spark. No spark when connected. So looking at the diagram, it seems there's a "spring switch" that I'm guessing kills the mower when the engine brake lever is released.
Well, the engine brake, with the lever released isn't stopping the engine at all. And I'm guessing the switch is bad. Because it keeps running when the brake lever is released.

Question is, do I replace the brake pad and the switch as well? Or is there something I'm missing?

What I would do is provide him with a simple handlebar kill switch. He can extend the wire up to the control area and simply push the button when he desires to kill the engine. Simple and effective. And no liability for you if HE installs it.