Exmark 42 inch Quest Zero Turn

Rickcin

Threads
I was wondering if this is a decent Zero turn for a 1/2 acre with a bunch of small trees and bushes? The cost is around $3K so I realize it’s certainly not a commercial mower. I currently have a Cub Cadet 42 inch lawn tractor that is only a few years old, however I would love to have a Zero turn and wondering if this entry level one would be decent?

Also, is the basic traction better on a lawn tractor than a Zero turn?

Last edited:

Born2Mow

Threads
Toro/Exmark makes some of the best residential mowers available, in all categories. Exmark is to Toro, what Lexus is to Toyota. Exmark will be miles above anything from a "big box store" in reliability, ease of maintenance, parts availability, and noise. I posted a review HERE of my 44" Exmark and the biggest "ding" I could give is lack of storage space.

Generally lawn tractors do better on pitched terrain. ZTMs don't fair as well while cutting across slopes because 2 wheels do all the traction and control. Cutting up-down slopes is preferable. They can be dangerous and unpredictable on slopes around the edge of lakes and other hazards. 15° is considered the max slope angle, and then only on DRY grass. Weight does improve the dry traction results.

If your terrain allows, you'll cut closer to trees with less trimming on a ZTM. And they are generally a blast to drive !

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Rickcin

Threads
Toro/Exmark makes some of the best residential mowers available, in all categories. Exmark is to Toro, what Lexus is to Toyota. Exmark will be miles above anything from a "big box store" in reliability, ease of maintenance, parts availability, and noise. I posted a review HERE of my 44" Exmark and the biggest "ding" I could give is lack of storage space.

Generally lawn tractors do better on pitched terrain. ZTMs don't fair as well while cutting across slopes because 2 wheels do all the traction and control. Cutting up-down slopes is preferable. They can be dangerous and unpredictable on slopes around the edge of lakes and other hazards. 15° is considered the max slope angle, and then only on DRY grass. Weight does improve the dry traction results.

If your terrain allows, you'll cut closer to trees with less trimming on a ZTM. And they are generally a blast to drive !

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the information, it really helps. I have a section in our front yard that slopes to a drainage swale and it’s about 60 feet by 10 that’s probably a good 15 degree slope. I do but it across the slope with the lawn tractor and it is a little iffy as I feel one of the front tires lifting. I’m now going to do that with a 21 inch walk behind to be safe.
it would just be nice with a zero turn which would probably give a better cut, be faster, cut around shrubs better and definitely be more enjoyable than a lawn tractor.

Definitely liking an Exmark.

Thanks again❗

Frank Woodbery

Forum Newbie
Threads
Agree that sticking with using the 21" walk behind finishing mower for doing the swale is a good idea, whether on the tractor or a ZT..