Everride Warrior 60" Deck, Engine starts but will not start with drive belt on.

CAVIwiring

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Everride Warrior 60" Deck, Engine starts but will not start with drive belt on.
Me and my father replaced the drive belt on our Everride Warrior 60" yesterday, since the mower hadnt been runnin in 2 years. We had to take the pully, and the clutch off of the drive shaft to fix some wiring that got messed up when the belt ripped the wires apart. We rewired the clutch and started the mower with nothing on the drive shaft and the engine started and ran just fine. As soon as we put the V-belt pulley and the clutch back on the driveshaft, it wont start the engine now. The engine just ticks but doesnt spin or even try to start. When the pulley and clutch is on the driveshaft, we are unable to turn the engine as well (putting hands on top of engine and trying to turn it by the fan grill.

We have checked wiring, and everything but as soon as the clutch and v-belt pulley go on, the engine wont start. We tried to loosely tighten all bolts thinking it might be a tension issue, but still nothing. We also checked that the clutch and V-belt pulley arent touching anything that would be preventing the engine from turning.

(We did try starting the engine with and without the drive belt on to check if it was too much tension on the pulley, still nothing both ways)

Any help would be fantastic, please and thank you.

Tyler.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Everride Warrior 60" Deck, Engine starts but will not start with drive belt on.
Check the clutch bearings. I currently replacing a Warner clutch that the top bearing failed.

CAVIwiring

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the clutch bearings. I currently replacing a Warner clutch that the top bearing failed.
We are both amateurs when it comes to this. How do we check clutch bearings? We are afraid that when the belt snapped and ripped the wiring off the clutch that maybe the clutch is stuck in the engaged position, so the mower thinks that the belts are turned on and maybe that's why it won't start??

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes sometime the Kevlar cords can get wrap around the clutch and jam it. I have only one clutch had happen to and it on an old Cub Cadet shaft model. It took some time getting all of it out.

But as for checking they are standard ball bearings and the inner races should rotate freely.

CAVIwiring

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes sometime the Kevlar cords can get wrap around the clutch and jam it. I have only one clutch had happen to and it on an old Cub Cadet shaft model. It took some time getting all of it out.

But as for checking they are standard ball bearings and the inner races should rotate freely.
We will check that. Question for you though: the 2 wires coming off the clutch, if they were accidentally wired backwards, would that lock up the clutch (like maybe it would think the blades were engaged) and cause the engine to not turn over/spin and just click?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Not that I know of as it just a very large coil of wire. Some clutch do a diode in the circuit which could get shorted but that will just cause the fuse to blow.

Beside the clutch requires voltage and current for the magnetic field to develop pulling the fiction plate in and it is automatic demagnetize as soon as the voltage and current is removed.