Engine swap

kj4ltc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2009 Bad Boy ZT with 27 go Briggs engine, the engine is locked up. I can get another bad boy ZT with 27 ho Kohler …..would that engine swap be possible or am I wasting my time pulling them off

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any swap is possible, depending how much you want to spend. Would need a different muffler, rewire the electrical harness, possibly change the mounting pattern, possibly change the PTO clutch, etc. Most often the amount of time and $$$$ does not make it worth the work.

kj4ltc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, so far this swap has been nearly bolt on, again 2009 26hp Briggs to 2011 27hp Kohler. I had to drill out the mounting holes on the engine mounting surface slightly, re-route the choke cable, I currently have the Kohler engine mounted, running, and throttle/choke cables adjusted. Next task will be the drive belt, followed by mounting the deck clutch and deck belt. Again, I can only hope those steps are as simple as the engine mounting.

kj4ltc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Final update, both mowers used the same drive pulley/belt and deck clutch/belt. The only modification I had to do was drill out the engine mounting holes on my mower and re-route the choke cable. Everything else was a direct swap including the engine wiring plug. Got it all bolted on and mowed the yard this afternoon. Can be done easily in this particular application.