Engine Surging.

melvin1942

Threads
I have a Briggs Model 356442, Type 0224-B1, Code 090119. It is surging at all speeds. What would cause it do do that. How can I fix it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Lets check a couple of things first. If you slowly add choke does it smooth out and run correctly at some point. Also if the engine is on a mower if you engage the blades does it smooth out. If the answer to either question is yes, then the problem is the carb, and needs to be removed, cleaned thoroughly and have a repair kit installed.

If the answer is no then further testing will be required to rule out a governor issue. If the first test fails then try holding the throttle on the carb steady and see if it runs smooth or stumbles. Smooth would indicate a possible governor issue. Stumbles would lead back to a carb or intake leak issue.

melvin1942

Threads
Lets check a couple of things first. If you slowly add choke does it smooth out and run correctly at some point. Also if the engine is on a mower if you engage the blades does it smooth out. If the answer to either question is yes, then the problem is the carb, and needs to be removed, cleaned thoroughly and have a repair kit installed.

If the answer is no then further testing will be required to rule out a governor issue. If the first test fails then try holding the throttle on the carb steady and see if it runs smooth or stumbles. Smooth would indicate a possible governor issue. Stumbles would lead back to a carb or intake leak issue.
I do not know what to think. Yesterday and this morning it was surging. I went back and run it this afternoon after I got your message and it is running well. I tried it at different speeds and mowing a little it still ran well. So, I do not know. I do thank you for your information

Melvin.