Engine starting/running problems

Iltetp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a B&S 17.5 hp engine, M/N 31C707-3346-G6, on my Craftsman riding mower.
I bought the mower used and when i started it it would run wide open on high or low throttles. I could not get it to slow down so i replaced the carb with a after market Nikki Carb, had after market carb when i bought it, as well as the gas line, spark plug, coil, fuel filter, air filter and gasket. Now it won't start unless i place and hold my hand over the intake tube. It will start but dies immediately, other wise it will not start. Are there any suggestions?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Sounds like a faulty Chineseium carburetor to me.. it's running too lean and when you place your hand over the intake that simulates choking it making the air/fuel mixture richer (less air).
is there any adjustment screw on it? usually on the front left side of the carb, either a flat head screw or it has a limiter cap on it.Or it may have no screw at all.
OEM carb # is 594593.
and the first issue with the throttle staying WOT, probably a governor issue, either it needs adjusted, or it's broken inside the engine
i couldn't find a specific video on that engine but Taryl explains it pretty well in this video, someone else can probably give you specifics for your engine.
skip to 3:00,