Engine quits after about a minute

Jim 9970

Forum Newbie
Threads
Troy built mower with a Kohler 20 hp one cyc. gas engine. Starts, runs for about one minute, the stalls, as though running out of fuel. No backfire, exterior is clean, Suspected oil sensor, but engine does not have one. Changed oil. Cleaned out fuel tank, replaced fuel line, filter, carb,, coil, electric ignition module, and spark plug. I call this the shotgun method, replace everything, one at a time, Tried hot wiring carb coil (shut off on bottom of bowl). Makes me say "Hummmmmm"

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post the engine numbers off the black and silver tag.

Jim 9970

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine is an SV601 Kohler courage 20hp 597 cc. I Really appreciate your help, is there a circuit breaker that I haven't found?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can you get the spec number off that tag?

Jim 9970

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry, only tag was a california air quality tag, Here are the numbers of the tractor, model no. 13ax79bt011, under that is 806307 dom 02/2017 then sn 1b247b40274. hope that helps, again I appreciate your help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are going to have to test to find out if it is fuel or ignition related. Have many questions which you will need to answer before giving instructions as to how to proceed. The manual at the end of this post may help you.
1. When it quits, can you restart immediately?
2. If No restart have you checked for spark, if so how did you test?
3. If No restart, but have spark, spray carb cleaner into airhorn, will it fire?
4. How mechanically experienced are you?
5. To test the fuel solenoid, hold your hand n solenoid and turn key to on position. You should feel the solenoid click.

Remember, you are our eyes and ears and must paint us the best picture of what you are seeing and hearing.

Jim 9970

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, I am very mechanically experienced, which is why this is driving me nuts. Sprayed starting fluid into carb after the engine stalled, she started up immediately, so must be getting spark, so I would think. I can feel the carb relay click, I replaced the carb which came with new relay. no change. spark plus fuel at right time should equal go. I will test for spark tomorrow. Before she dies, she runs great. Thanks for your time!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Another thing to check. When it stops don’t shut the key switch off. Get off unit, hand on fuel solenoid, now turn the key switch off. Do you feel solenoid closing? I’m wondering if you are losing power to this solenoid, stoping fuel from entering the airhorn. Starting to think you may have an electrical short somewhere.

Jim 9970

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, after checking solenoid, can feel it clicking, after leaving on, not running, solenoid was very hot. Ordered a new carb with solenoid.(20 bucks on Amazon) Should be here by the 8th. Checked wiring, no problems I can find, have already replaced the E.E.Module. Thanks again.

Jim 9970

Forum Newbie
Threads
You are going to have to test to find out if it is fuel or ignition related. Have many questions which you will need to answer before giving instructions as to how to proceed. The manual at the end of this post may help you.
1. When it quits, can you restart immediately?
2. If No restart have you checked for spark, if so how did you test?
3. If No restart, but have spark, spray carb cleaner into airhorn, will it fire?
4. How mechanically experienced are you?
5. To test the fuel solenoid, hold your hand n solenoid and turn key to on position. You should feel the solenoid click.

Remember, you are our eyes and ears and must paint us the best picture of what you are seeing and hearing.

Replaced the cheap chinese carb with another cheap chinese carb, came with new, but different solinoid. That fixed it. Thanks a million for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!