Engine model number

cyaw126

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys I picked up a used 17.5 Briggs engine and the valve cover is so rusted I can't read the model number at all. Is the model number stamped anywhere else on the engine

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Only on the valve cover; unless, Briggs put a sticker on the engine shroud.

Can you read any of the numbers?

cyaw126

Forum Newbie
Threads
no readable numbers at all. This engine is on a 2006 Troy Bilt would I be in the ballpark if I can find another 17.5 or something close in HP from that year in order to find a model number so I can order parts.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The valve cover wouldn't to be upside down would it. If the words OHV are upside down when viewing that the model number info is on the bottom.

Richard320

Threads
no readable numbers at all. This engine is on a 2006 Troy Bilt would I be in the ballpark if I can find another 17.5 or something close in HP from that year in order to find a model number so I can order parts.
Hunt down the manual for the tiller and see if they list the engine as a replacement part.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well there is several riders in that year range. The closest to that year that I have worked on had a 31P777 engine.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hunt down the manual for the tiller and see if they list the engine as a replacement part.
I have yet to see a garden tiller with a 17.5 hp engine. Even their big Horse tillers usually only have 7 & 8 hp engines.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
It better be a Ride On Tiller with that motor on there!!
OP, occasionally with different equipment over the years, i've contacted the machine manufacturer with the model and serial numbers of the machine, and i've sometimes been able to get what engine was used, including model #