Engine issues

brentwood

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a john deere x530. The carburetor messed up and filled the carb with gas. I was mowing when this happened and the mower just died. I tried to restart it several times. Once during a restart attempt it hit solid. No noises were made it just moved extremely slow. I took the spark plugs out and one cylinder was full of gas. Gas was also running out of the muffler. I have since replaced the carb and changed the oil twice along with a new filter. Now I have to pulse the choke once I start it until it warms up. It idles fine but dies when I engage the deck. What are the bigger problems I now have.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Engine model and spec would helpful but sound like one cylinder is dead. V-twins can run good off load on one cylinder then when loaded by the deck die.

D

Deleted member 97405

If the engine is only running on one cylinder, you can tell which side it is without tools using the following method. If you start the engine and let it run for a minute, then turn it off, you can feel the valve covers. One should be warm and the other still cold. Cold side is the cylinder that isn't running. It could be ignition related, something with the valves or piston, or fuel related. Since you've already replaced the carb, I'm leaning towards a dead ignition coil or maybe a bent pushrod that dropped off.