Export thread

Engine fades away

C

Custom500

I'm trying to fix a friends rider. It has a B&S 22 hp v-twin 'professional' series engine, model 44U677-0002 G1. It has a single barrel carb. The problem: When he's mowing, the engine will run fine, but then fade out, spit thru the carb once or twice, then come back and be fine for a little while. The time spent 'in screw-up mode' is only 1 or 2 percent of running time, if that. I'm assuming a fuel problem, since it's in no way jerky or machine gun.
So far, I pulled the carb bowl, expecting to see some dirt or water, but it was perfectly clean. So I replaced the float needle since it showed a little wear ring around the tip, which seemed to fix it, but after an hour or so the problem began again, but not as frequently.
So- I can't even say for sure that it was the needle that made it run better for a while since I tampered with other things in the course of replacing it, intake r+r for one thing. I'd appreciate any ideas...

M

mechanic mark

R

Rivets

Have you checked for debris floating around in the fuel tank. May be partially blocking the outlet.

G

GearHead36

I had a problem similar to this with a push mower. Turned out to be trash in the carb & fuel tank. I cleaned out the carb, but not the tank. Problem persisted. Then I cleaned out the carb again and the fuel tank. It's been running fine since.

C

Custom500

I expected to find dirt or water in the float bowl, but no, it was perfectly clean- not so much as a speck of dirt.