Engine Cuts out on Lawn Tractor

Rpknodel

Forum Newbie
Threads
John Deere L110 42" Deck- 2006. I am having a problem with the engine cutting off after 1-5 minutes. Condition started after my last full cut. Engine ran for a least an hour and then cut off. I can jump start it, but it will only run for one minute and sputter and cut off. Since then, the same pattern. Jump start- put it in gear, and engine cuts shortly after.
Today I installed a tune-up kit- oil, spark plug, oil filter, air filter etc. Same thing happened again. I even installed another battery that I had. It was 2 years old but had not used it previously. Is there a relationship between the fact that I always have to jump start it and it cutting off now? Any suggestions on what I should look at next?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are two things you need to check, fuel and spark. To me it sounds like you are not getting fuel to the carb, but I would check spark first. Get an inline spark tester at your local auto parts store. The next time it happens insert the tester between the plug and wire and check to see if you have spark, no spark I would be replacing the coil. If you have spark remove the fuel line from the carb and put it into a glass jar. Have an assistant try starting the engine and see if you get fuel into the jar. No fuel, you have either debris in the fuel line or bad fuel pump. If you post back include units model number (behind the left rear wheel) and all engine numbers, so we have a better idea what you are dealing with.

Rpknodel

Forum Newbie
Threads
There are two things you need to check, fuel and spark. To me it sounds like you are not getting fuel to the carb, but I would check spark first. Get an inline spark tester at your local auto parts store. The next time it happens insert the tester between the plug and wire and check to see if you have spark, no spark I would be replacing the coil. If you have spark remove the fuel line from the carb and put it into a glass jar. Have an assistant try starting the engine and see if you get fuel into the jar. No fuel, you have either debris in the fuel line or bad fuel pump. If you post back include units model number (behind the left rear wheel) and all engine numbers, so we have a better idea what you are dealing with.
Thank you. Will try these and get back to you

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
make sure the battery is charged. Some engines need the voltage from the battery to function. Next check the charging system to make sure it is working right. The fact it jump starts fine is a clue. Try leaving the jump battery on it and see if it continues to run. Could be a bad ground strap or corrosion in the electrical system somewhere too.

D

Deleted member 97405

If it makes a difference if you play with the choke as it's sputtering, you have a fuel issue. Make sure your fuel cap vent hole isn't plugged. Number one common fuel starvation problem on this series. Assuming fuel is not the issue....Another common issue since this is a Kohler engine is the ignition coil may be breaking down due to heat and shorting out. Easy fix but definitely need to see if you're losing spark first. For some reason these single cylinder Kohler ignition coils are susceptible to heat more than other engines Deere uses. Otherwise, these engines will run for 1000 hours if maintained. They're bulletproof internally. I wouldnt say it if I hadnt seen it. I had a guy buy one of these new back in the day. He hauled it around in a beatup Chevy truck and mowed the neighborhood with it. Changed the oil like twice a week because of the hours he was putting on it. Last time I saw it, it had over 1000 hours on it. Thing belonged in a museum!