Engine cranks but doesn't start

lvetts

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Bad Boy ZT with a Kohler 27HP SV840 Engine. It was getting more difficult to start then wouldn't start at all the other day. Engine cranks but no ignition. Spark plugs had no spark, replaced them but still no spark. I opened up the engine cover to find that the white wire in the engine had the shielding gnawed off by a mouse probably, and a black hose near the air filter also had a hole.

Could the issues with the wire or the hose cause the conditions I'm describing? I appreciate y'alls help!

KK560

Threads
I have a Bad Boy ZT with a Kohler 27HP SV840 Engine. It was getting more difficult to start then wouldn't start at all the other day. Engine cranks but no ignition. Spark plugs had no spark, replaced them but still no spark. I opened up the engine cover to find that the white wire in the engine had the shielding gnawed off by a mouse probably, and a black hose near the air filter also had a hole.

Could the issues with the wire or the hose cause the conditions I'm describing? I appreciate y'alls help!
I'd check that white wire for any damage and make sure it has good clean contact. Those are usually the ignition kill, and you might not be getting your power through the ignition modules to the spark plugs.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The white wire without the insulation could be shorting to ground preventing spark. Repair the wire and see what happens.

lvetts

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I inspected the wire again, it appeared it was actually the red wire with wire exposed. So I attempted to repair the while but still no spark. I attached the image of the wires and the hole in the tubing near the air filter. I also have a link to a video I made of what the engine sounds like when attempting to start. Hopefully something here makes sense.

I really appreciate everyone's help.

IMG_2455.jpgIMG_2456.jpg

lvetts

Forum Newbie
Threads
Figured it out. Engine starter is bad and needs to be replaced. Thank you!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
so the bad starter was preventing spark? Maybe not spinning it fast enough?