Export thread

EM5000 IS Honda Generator

B

Brian902

Anyone here know the pilot screw setting for one of these with the auto fuel save mode.

Had to clean my carb and having trouble getting the idle mixture set.

Trying 3/4 - 1.5 turns out but because I had to break the restrictor cap, to remove pilot screw adjuster, in order to clean the idle circuit passages, not sure where it should be

Automatic control idles at 2400 and revs to 3600 when not in use.

So adjusting with the electric controls installed means the screw doesn't change the rpm much and is impossible to adjust at this speed of 2400rpm.

Only other method I can think of is to remove the auto device and try setting the screw when it idles back to 1,000 rpm.

Dirt in the idle circuit was making it idle irratically, I call it hunting, when the rpm keeps moving up and down due to being too lean.

Small jets plug easily with old fuel particles.

Not interested in buying a manual for a simple pilot screw adjustment.

Thanks
Brian

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

Anyone here know the pilot screw setting for one of these with the auto fuel save mode.

Had to clean my carb and having trouble getting the idle mixture set.

Trying 3/4 - 1.5 turns out but because I had to break the restrictor cap, to remove pilot screw adjuster, in order to clean the idle circuit passages, not sure where it should be

Automatic control idles at 2400 and revs to 3600 when not in use.

So adjusting with the electric controls installed means the screw doesn't change the rpm much and is impossible to adjust at this speed of 2400rpm.

Only other method I can think of is to remove the auto device and try setting the screw when it idles back to 1,000 rpm.

Dirt in the idle circuit was making it idle irratically, I call it hunting, when the rpm keeps moving up and down due to being too lean.

Small jets plug easily with old fuel particles.

Not interested in buying a manual for a simple pilot screw adjustment.

Thanks
Brian
I am reading your post is screwed with too much attention to detail
you do not understand, yourself.
Keep it simple.
Adjust the idle below what you believe the auto electric will
settle at. When it starves on auto wind it out (rich) a smidgeon.
You might need to repeat that action in small steps.

KK

B

Brian902

Know what you mean.

Trouble is it is hard to explain to a non-honda generator owner that is not a mechanic.

Auto control does not allow it to idle down to the point where I can try adjusting and tuning.

Today's job is try removing auto unit from carb.

At 2,400 rpm the idle screw can be turned right in and it still runs with just a slight miss, but I'm sure that is not the correct setting.

So, only option I've thought of is to try removing the auto unit attached to the carb and then try tuning.

Easy job once it gets to an idle and within running range, a few tries on the pilot screw and away we go.

Just wish I had the initial setting to get started.

Thanks
Brian

B

Brian902

Better luck today.

Just found an owners manual for a GX340, same engine, with idle rpm 1,400 and pilot screw setting of 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 turns out.

Hope this helps someone else.

Brian

EM5000iS Owners Manual and GX340 Owners Manual

View attachment 31ZE2601.pdf

View attachment 31Z11604.pdf

B

Brian902

SUCCESS.

Oh how a good nights sleep helps. And a manual.

Set pilot screw to 2 1/4 turns, started first pull, cold. After warm up, one pull.

Got to love a good Honda engine.

So for others when you must clean a generator carb after the machine sits for 2-3 years. Be more careful than I and count the turns before removal.

Had to cut the limited cap so I could turn the screw and when screwing inward it broke loose from the brass screw, cap is aluminum and glued on. Thus no idea on settings as it was spinning and I didn't know it until after. So my count was off.

In future, I would cut the limiter off and back the screw out and count how many turns to remove the screw.

Hope this helps someone else as all the Honda engines have these caps in place to prevent adjusting.

Silly mistake by Honda, engines last forever but dirty carbs will always need cleaning.

Main nozzle on my carb had some of the 12 holes nearly completely gummed over.

Quick poke with a wire and a little brass wire brush cleaned up the debris just fine.

That's all folks.
Brian

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

SUCCESS.

Oh how a good nights sleep helps. And a manual.

Set pilot screw to 2 1/4 turns, started first pull, cold. After warm up, one pull.

Got to love a good Honda engine.

[...]

That's all folks.
Brian

The manual posted looks very standard, like one size fits all.
I take it as said the auto control is hooked into the regulator
circutry for the alternator the engine drives?

Couldn't agree more with your Honda bias, top engines.
I made the mistake of passing one up not so long back, paying
for it now - in more ways than just replacement value :-(

Fine outcome, shows a lot to be said for thorough selfhelp.

KK

B

Brian902

The manual posted looks very standard, like one size fits all.
I take it as said the auto control is hooked into the regulator
circutry for the alternator the engine drives?

Couldn't agree more with your Honda bias, top engines.
I made the mistake of passing one up not so long back, paying
for it now - in more ways than just replacement value :-(

Fine outcome, shows a lot to be said for thorough selfhelp.

KK

Yes the manual was one for the engines only.

The engines can be used in anything as you know.

But lucky for me it had the idle speed pilot adjustment settings.

And yes the carb is controlled by the generator (120 volt one) so the output voltage 120/240 can be maintained when running electrical stuff.

That's why it idles at 2,400 rpm, well beyond a normal engine of this type (1,400 rpm), so it has enough output for 120 volts.

Not sure but it must put out about 1,000 watts at idle with a total output of 5,000.

This inverter type generator produces DC voltage like your cars alternator and then using a converter makes AC voltage.

Much like the type you can attach to your cars alternator to make AC voltage from you car to run electrical stuff.

Most generators just produce straight AC voltage.

Inverter type generators are very good for sensitive electronic equipment because the produce an output with fewer to no spikes.

It's the spikes that kill electronic equipment.

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

Brian902 wrote:
That's why it idles at 2,400 rpm, well beyond a normal engine of this type (1,400 rpm), so it has enough output for 120 volts

Yeuppp...240VAC in our (.au) case.
Yet one has to set the low idle and jet to accomadate the voltage
regulator setpoint. Bit of a bugger the screws are 'sealed' :)

Never worked on rotary inverters so tapped out on knowledge there.
They went west in this country years ago.
BUT to clear one thing up..?... vehicle alternators produce AC, vehicle
generators produce DC... or did. They have gone west also.
The AC sine wave is rectified and regulated through that 'magicbox'
to the rear of the alternator. Though some are internal where vac pumps
etc.. are part of the alternator body.

Great feedback..!...thanks ;-)

KK

robert@honda

robert@honda

Hope this helps someone else as all the Honda engines have these caps in place to prevent adjusting.

Silly mistake by Honda, engines last forever but dirty carbs will always need cleaning.

Federal EPA and California ARB regulations require engine manufactures to fit anti-tampering devices to carburetor parts that effect emissions. Gluing an anti-tamper cap onto the mixture screw and not allowing it to be removed or adjusted significantly is an approved device/method and is used by nearly all small gas engine companies to meet the regulations.

B

Brian902

It's hard when you have to follow the rules all the time ah ROBERT!!!

Ha ha ha

Have a great day!

Great to see Honda is watching!

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

It's hard when you have to follow the rules all the time ah ROBERT!!!

Ha ha ha

Have a great day!

Great to see Honda is watching!

... luuuuurve your fly build..!... enjoy lunch :laughing::laughing::laughing:

B

Brian902

... luuuuurve your fly build..!... enjoy lunch :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Krashn,

Love you comment but sorry us Canadian's don't always follow you Aussies's language. What are you saying???? ha ha ha

:drink:

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

Krashn,

Love you comment but sorry us Canadian's don't always follow you Aussies's language. What are you saying???? ha ha ha

:drink:

fly + rod = fishing
Result, one fat Honda post
Savvy?
Sorry I will not use the "T" word, 'cos you were not "T"ing -)