ELECTRICAL PROBLEM ON BRIGGS

shillnav

Threads
28B707
1120 E1

I have this Briggs Engine on a Murray Rider.

Here's what I've encountered so far. It's been sitting up for a while. Has a new battery. Would not turn over, although the solenoid does click when the key is turned. I jumped the solenoid and it turns over but would not start.

There is no spark at the plug unless I pull the kill / ground wire off the coil. It then has a strong visible spark. Plug the kill wire back to the coil and no spark at all.

I've traced the wires and on this model of Murray, everything is quite open and easy to get to. No visible bare wires. Have checked the safety switches and all read as they're supposed to. Am pretty sure the solenoid will need to be replaced but am more concerned right now about what is grounding and causing the "no spark."

Could a faulty solenoid be causing the no spark?? I'm thinking it's not because when I disconnect the kill wire, jump the solenoid, engine turns over and spark is present.......... This one's got me stumped.

Any feedback, advice, instruction would be most appreciated........ Thanks Much

chance123

Threads
If the solenoid clicks but does not make the connection, it is bad. Are there one or two small wires on your solenoid? (along with the 2 heavy wires)

shillnav

Threads
Just one small wire, and then the normal 2 larger ones. I was assuming that the solenoid wasn't working correctly as it would only engage when I jumped it........ I plan on buying a new one tomorrow. The thing that's got me stumped is the no fire / fire situation. Got any ideas about that??

Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just one small wire, and then the normal 2 larger ones. I was assuming that the solenoid wasn't working correctly as it would only engage when I jumped it........ I plan on buying a new one tomorrow. The thing that's got me stumped is the no fire / fire situation. Got any ideas about that??

Thanks

Some of the Murrays are wired where they will crank with just the brake pedal pressed down, but will not fire unless you are sitting on the seat.

shillnav

Threads
I had a cement block holding the seat switch......... a guy I talked to thinks it may be the ignition switch.... I'm not sure, it's the only switch I haven't checked so maybe he's right.