Electric trimmer

msaeger

Threads
I want a cordless electric trimmer. I also hate messing with the line. I also don't want to pay a premium for pre-wound spools.

Am I able to replace the head with a gator one that takes pre-cut pieces of line? or is that a bad idea because those suck? I am thinking it would be easier to shove a short length of line through than to wind a spool.

If I am stuck with the head that comes with the trimmer how do these auto feed ones work? Almost all the cordless electric trimmer have auto feed. I am imaging they would go through a lot of line.

Last edited:

msaeger

Threads

MowerMike

Threads
That one would looks pretty good but I still would rather have a head like this where I wouldn't need to deal with winding a spool. Amazon.com : Grass Gator 8010 Load n' Cut Replacement String Trimmer Head : String Trimmer Accessories : Patio, Lawn & Garden I don't know if one like this will fit on any electric one.

The reviews on that Gator head are pretty bad and I can tell you from personal experience with my Echo SRM-225 gas trimmer that those quick load trimmer line heads are very simple to reload. You simply insert the line through the head from the outside without taking it apart, and twist the head to wind it. Takes less than 30 seconds, including cutting a 10 foot length of line.

Last edited:

msaeger

Threads
You are right that looks easy to load. The only kind I have had you needed to take the spool out and wind it by hand.

msaeger

Threads
I bought the Ryobi 40V X. I charged the enormous battery and used it a little bit today. It ran it about 15 minutes and it took 25% of the battery according to the indicator on the battery. I had it full throttle the whole time I may have been able to get it done at a lower speed but it's pretty hard to hold the trigger anywhere but wide open. If they really wanted you to use the variable speed a dial in addition to the trigger would have been better. I don't really care because if it will run 60 minutes on a charge that's longer than I will ever need or would want to be trimming anyway :)

So far I don't see any difference in power between this one and my old 4 cycle gas Ryobi I have only really tried running it wide open but I always ran the gas on wide open too. This is silly but I am impressed with the line they included with the trimmer. I was going along a block wall and some concrete edgers and it barley shaved it down. The stuff I was using in the gas one wore down much quicker. I am pretty sure the lower shaft / head is the same as their gas trimmer so I am sure the gator heads would fit if I wanted to get one. In spite of the huge battery the unit is balanced really well so it doesn't feel heavy.

Last edited:

msaeger

Threads
I had to load the line today and Mike is right it was really easy. It took a few minutes to figure out because I didn't want to go in to find the book but after I figured it out it took 30 seconds.