Export thread

Electric Start Issue

Y

Youngwill

I have a Husqvarna walk behind selfpropelled mower with electric start. It has the B&S motor and is similar to this one:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Husqvarn...r-Electric-Start-163cc-Engine-21-In/980630017
i bought it used last summer and, in general, it works fine. However, the electric starter has trouble turning the engine over. When I use the recoil starter, it starts on the 1st or 2nd pull, warm or cold, but with the electric starter, it has trouble getting over the compression stroke. Sometimes it will and sometimes it won't and even if it does, it has trouble starting. If I resort to the recoil starter, it starts right up. The battery is good and fully charged (12.7 v or more) and the wiring and connections to the starter motor look good and test with continuity. I have removed the starter motor and it works well when disconnected. There is no excessive play in the bearings. The gear that engages the starter gear moves freely. It seems like the starter motor is just not strong enough to turn over the engine. BTW, when I'm trying to start it, I either lift it above the grass or move it to the driveway and I'm sure to hold the release for the drive. I bought the mower because of the electric start and I would like to make it work. Any suggestions?

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

What type of battery? Small sealed gel type? Does it have date on it? If it is the gel type it may show good voltage but now have enough capacity to start the mower. Those type batteries dont like being stored where the temps are below freezing.

R

Rivets

Also make sure that your battery and starter cable connections are clean and tight. Particularly the ground to chassis connection, which is one that likes to come loose and corrode, causing a lose of current available to the starter.

Y

Youngwill

It is an Li-ion battery. No date that I found
Yes. All of the connections are clean and tight.
Thanks

R

Rivets

Measure the battery voltage when the key is turned to the start position. If it is less than 10 DCV time for a new battery.

Y

Youngwill

OK. I'll give that a try. Right now we are going through a chilly spell. Would it be best to put it on the charger for a while to warm it up. Of course, the engine is going to be cold (btn 30-40 deg probably). I can try to start it with the recoil and let it warm up a bit.

Y

Youngwill

Temperature is about 45 deg and I did not warm up the engine. However, I did put the battery on the charger for about an hour and when I took it off voltage was about 13 v. I pressed the start button and it was able to turn the engine over, but it did not start. Voltage at the charging port while cranking was well below 10 v (maybe 8). So, I guess I need a new battery.

R

Rivets

I agree. Suggestion if you can, load the mower into your vehicle and go to your dealership. Ask them if they would install, or if you can, a new battery to see if our diagnosis is correct. That way you shouldn’t have to buy a new battery if we are wrong.

D

Dave in MD

Another test would be to jump from a known good battery, car or truck as available.

R

Rivets

I wouldn’t recommend trying to jump a Li-ion battery with a lead acid battery. Just my opinion.

Z

zigyblu

It is an Li-ion battery. No date that I found
Yes. All of the connections are clean and tight.
Thanks
I would like to make a suggestion as I have a Sears mower just like yours as I believe Husqvarna was the manufacturer of the machine and mine was very touchy with the sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't start and what I found to be the problem was the wires that go up into the Key switch were not in all the way and making a proper connection. Mine has the plug ins but if the wires are not all the way in it won't make a proper connection and act like it isn't charged enough to start. I pushed all the wires into their connectors all the way in and the problem was solved. You may have the same issue. Hope that it helps.

P

Papa Gill

I have the rear wheel drive of this electric start Husky mower. The battery went bad a long time ago. You will be shocked at the price they get for a replacement battery. Something like $50 if I recall correctly. I went on line and found something close for $15. Look for a battery in the home security system type. It was bigger however both in size and capacity. I zip tied it in place and have never looked back. As far as starting goes unfortunately, mine doesn't like to on the battery. It turns over just fine with a charged battery and starts just fine pulling the cord. Something "wears", gets out of adjustment with age. A "normal" repair shop tune up doesn't fix it either.

gamma_ray

gamma_ray

I wouldn’t recommend trying to jump a Li-ion battery with a lead acid battery. Just my opinion.
Good suggestion, they are two completely different animals. I have a LiFePO4 in a UTV and only use a trickle charger when needed, designed for such types of batteries.

Y

Youngwill

Well. It appears I lied to you (not intentionally). As i was removing the battery from the "box" that holds it and the starter button, one of the wires practically fell out of the plastic connector between the battery and the button. I was able to put the wire back into the connector and solder it secure. Now the mower starts as it should with the electric starter. Apparently the bad connection (I told you they were all good) was causing enough resistance that it couldn't start.
I'm certainly glad it was fixable as I was getting nowhere trying to find a replacement battery. A local parts house told me that, if he could get it, it would be in the form of the complete "box" containing the battery, start button, and connectors to the tune of about $200. Ouch! I was about ready to buy a 12v gel cell battery and mount it somewhere remotely from the start button. I think that would work, but I don't need to worry about it until the OEM battery actually fails.
Thanks for all the help and advice.

Z

zigyblu

Well. It appears I lied to you (not intentionally). As i was removing the battery from the "box" that holds it and the starter button, one of the wires practically fell out of the plastic connector between the battery and the button. I was able to put the wire back into the connector and solder it secure. Now the mower starts as it should with the electric starter. Apparently the bad connection (I told you they were all good) was causing enough resistance that it couldn't start.
I'm certainly glad it was fixable as I was getting nowhere trying to find a replacement battery. A local parts house told me that, if he could get it, it would be in the form of the complete "box" containing the battery, start button, and connectors to the tune of about $200. Ouch! I was about ready to buy a 12v gel cell battery and mount it somewhere remotely from the start button. I think that would work, but I don't need to worry about it until the OEM battery actually fails.
Thanks for all the help and advice.
Funny how that is, now do yourself a favor and check that the rest of the connection plugs have the wires all nice and tight and that mower will be a Gods send and save your shoulder from un necessary pain.

Y

Youngwill

Yes. Before the mowing season starts again, I intend to replace those interior connectors with solid wire between the battery and starter button. The quick connectors are not needed. The wires are connected to the battery with spade connections anyway and that is good enough. All of the other connectors outside of the "box" are encased in molded rubber. They seem good, so I won't replace them unless I need to later.
Again. Thanks for the help.