Electric riding mower won't charge

pittsvillefarm

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is a brand new mower. When it was delivered it had no charger with it. Finally the store got another mower in, so they gave me the charger. When I connect it, nothing seems to happen. I tried and tried, reconnecting and finally it started charging. Used it today, went to charge it, and again, nothing happens. Only a light on the charger indicating that it has AC power. I have followed procedure every time. Connect to battery then to wall. Disconnected from wall, then from battery. Never connected charger or disconnected it while plugged into AC? There are no error codes. Is there a way to check the algorithm on the charger?

IBM1401

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the XT1 LT42E with the same problem. One year old, has always worked perfectly. I was worried because we had a very cold winter, but it has worked perfectly this season. I went to use it and it's completely dead. When I plug in the charger, the display shows "8." which I assume is just a test of the display, the lightning bolt then flashes 6 times and stays on for about 5 seconds, then shuts off.

Does anyone have any input on this or a link to information about the charger?

FYI the Cub Cadet site has 2 manuals for the mower at the . They don't have any information about the charger.

MikeQBF

Threads
The charger is a Delta-Q IC650 with a lithium-ion profile. This company is strictly an OEM offering no consumer support and will respond only to manufacturers incorporating their products. I have "dealt" with Delta-Q chargers for 16 years and know this the hard way, given the hulks of four worn-out Delta-Q chargers littering my garage, for a low-speed vehicle. :mad: Needless to say the next time one dies - and it will - it'll be replaced with a marine-market multi-battery charger like a Guest. Unfortunately that's not an option for our mowers.

In both of your cases, does the LED bar display flash on the mower display panel after plugging in everything? If not, it is not accepting the charge. Also, be doubly-certain the parking brake is engaged during charging.

In @IBM1401 's case (BTW, I cut my programming teeth on an IBM 1401!), did you leave the charger connected and powered all winter? The '8' on startup is nothing more than a LED check, and the flashing lightning bolt is during boot-up; both are normal "health checks". What is important is the green LED on the charger display after boot-up is done, if it pulses slowly it indicates charging in progress. Conversely, no pulsing = no charging.

Is it possible to get a loaner charger to diagnose? I suspect not, Cub Cadet is very stingy with spares for the 42E, as discovered in diagnosing an overheating deck motor.

Born2Mow

Threads
This is a brand new mower. When it was delivered it had no charger with it. Finally the store got another mower in, so they gave me the charger. When I connect it, nothing seems to happen.
Take that POS back and get a gasoline powered mower.... and NOT from that dealer.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not helpful.
But sir, it really is. Do you battery guys think using a battery that the air is cleaner? Remember your electric company uses either coal or nukes for power generation. Some are hydro yes. Most are dirty power. So scratch the environment off the list. Batteries will fail, fact. Not if but when. They degrade with every charge cycle.

Forget about all the negatives about battery powered OPE. They are toys compared to gas mowers. Okay like this, rev your battery powered chain saw. Then rev your Stihl 2 stroker saw with no spark arrester in it. See the manly sound difference? Feel, the manly sound difference? Do you best Tim Allen impression.

slomo