Electric PTO Clutch Replacement

LaurenceC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, all. For some unfathomable reason, the PTO clutch on my Z4202 seized on the drive shaft. It was a lot of fun tapping it off, I can tell you. I replaced it with an Xtreme clutch, which certainly looks well-built and fit for purpose. The connector was, of course, not compatible, so I have to splice the wires. Trouble is, the wires from the new clutch are red/black, but the wires from the mower are green/brown. To me, this is a little confusing, given what little I know about wire colour coding. Can anyone help me with which wire goes to which?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The truth is it doesn't matter. The clutch is just an electric coil of wire with no true positive or negative. but if you have a meter you can connect one of the wires from the mower and the other meter lead to ground and turn the deck on and see if you have 12 volts. the wire with 12 volts either green or brown can then be connected to the red wire on the clutch.

LaurenceC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just to complete the thread. I took ILENGINE’s advice And connected up my multimeter. It was the brown wire that supplied the current. Hooked up to the red, green to black and, voila, cooking with gas! Many thanks.