Electric mower reviews

homeowner88

Threads
You have answered your own question. The only way you can determine if the proper torque is applied to the bolt is to use a torque wrench. Just looking at that video, it is clear that the torque on that bolt is not even close to the recommended 40 ft-lb, and you risk having the bolt loosen with potentially catastrophic consequences. The folks at EGO are obviously not mechanically inclined as demonstrated by that amateurish video.

As far as using the open end of the wrench is concerned, you are only gripping two of the six sides of the bolt head, or only 1/3rd as many as with the closed (box) end, which again is far more likely to damage it.

I currently have a standard 9/16 in. wrench and it should do the job in taking the blade bolt off. Will need a torque wrench to properly tighten it back up to the 40 ft-lb range.

Last edited:

MowerMike

Threads
What about a 9/16 in. ratchet tool to turn the bolt?

I have a ratchet box set I received as a gift that looked to be perfect for the task except for the fact the largest ratchet I have is not big enough to fit the bolt. Looks like this gift is absolutely useless as it doesn't have the 9/16 in. size!:thumbdown:

What is the sense in making a wrench (or, any tool for that matter) if it's going to ******* strip the bolt when you use it?

Just can't win in finding the right tool.

What you don't seem to understand is that it's not enough to have a tool that fits, but you also need one that allows you to get the proper tightness on the bolt. This is why you need a torque wrench and why manufacturers provide torque values for critical fasteners such as the blade mounting bolt. A good quality torque wrench is a lifetime investment that will pay for itself by preventing damage to your machinery. And, btw, that Husky torque wrench is made right here in the good old USA, unlike that Crapman brand sold at Sears. :smile:

homeowner88

Threads
What you don't seem to understand is that it's not enough to have a tool that fits, but you also need one that allows you to get the proper tightness on the bolt. This is why you need a torque wrench and why manufacturers provide torque values for critical fasteners such as the blade mounting bolt. A good quality torque wrench is a lifetime investment that will pay for itself by preventing damage to your machinery. And, btw, that Husky torque wrench is made right here in the good old USA, unlike that Crapman brand sold at Sears. :smile:

Thanks, as I will be looking to buy a torque wrench, soon.

Last edited:

MowerMike

Threads
Why did you link to a 3/8 in. torque wrench to turn a 9/16 in. bolt?

Isn't there a 9/16 in. torque wrench?

3/8 = 6/16

The torque wrench is just like a ratchet wrench. It has a square end that comes in different sizes, 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". You fit sockets with the same size ends on it and in the case of this particular torque wrench which adjusts to the range you need it's 3/8".

Sockets come in different sizes to match the bolt head size, which in this case is 9/16".

I think if you just go down to Home Depot and have someone in the tool department show everything to you it will all become a lot clearer.

homeowner88

Threads
The torque wrench is just like a ratchet wrench. It has a square end that comes in different sizes, 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". You fit sockets with the same size ends on it and in the case of this particular torque wrench which adjusts to the range you need it's 3/8".

Sockets come in different sizes to match the bolt head size, which in this case is 9/16".

I think if you just go down to Home Depot and have someone in the tool department show everything to you it will all become a lot clearer.

Okay, thanks for the info.

Last edited:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Harbor freight torque wrenches are usually on sale for $10 I use them all the time.

homeowner88

Threads
Harbor freight torque wrenches are usually on sale for $10 I use them all the time.

I went to my local hardware store today and picked up a very reasonably priced torque wrench for $25 and added a 9/16 in. socket for $5 more. Also have a 9/16 in. standard wrench which can remove the blade bolt and will see as to how the torque wrench works to tighten it back up into the recommended 40 ft-lb range.

I am going to see if the partially chipped and nicked up blade is going to work smoothly into next season as it was a brand new blade on my EGO mower until I hit the impediments in the yard. Don't know if this is going to affect performance of the blade or cause it to spin unbalanced since one corner of the blade was chipped away by a small stone.

Would you recommend to continue with a partially chipped and dinged up blade going into next season? Or...

1) Try to file out the dings and round off the chip? If so, would the other side of the blade have to be filed similarly to keep the blade properly balanced?

2) Skip the above and put on a new blade and mow carefully?

I hope to get a few years of use from the EGO mower.

Last edited:

MowerMike

Threads
You can check the blade balance as explained at the bottom of page 26 of the EGO Owner's Manual. Unless the blade has been bent or severely damaged it can usually be rebalanced and continued to be used. I've sharpened and cleaned up nicks and dings in blades many times and get many years use out of them. I use a Dremel tool with a special lawnmower blade sharpening attachment, which allows me to sharpen the blade w/o removing it from the lawnmower.

Last edited:

homeowner88

Threads
You can check the blade balance as explained at the bottom of page 26 of the EGO Owner's Manual. Unless the blade has been bent or severely damaged it can usually be rebalanced and continued to be used. I've sharpened and cleaned up nicks and dings in blades many times and get many years use out of them. I use a Dremel tool with a special lawnmower blade sharpening attachment, which allows me to sharpen the blade w/o removing it from the lawnmower.

Thanks for the tips on the blade maintenance as I am rather new to owning a powered mower (only having had a push reel mower for a long time) and this forum has been very helpful in regards to doing all of this.

Have also ordered 4 new blades from Home Depot so that I can use a new blade for every season over the next 4 years and will be using the current one on the mower starting next Spring, unless I need to cut the grass again before it gets cold.

Don't think I will attempt filing or sharpening the current blade I have but will be replacing it with a new blade after it wears out and will have additional blades to use each year.

This is a great forum and I am glad to have the EGO mower!

Last edited: