Repairs Electric Clutch Problems

bryantsplace1

Threads
Hey you'll. Working on A Cub Cadet LT 1022 and came along another small problem. When you engage the electric clutch and the blades start cutting all seems to work well , after cutting for a while and you disengage clutch it does not want to restart. Checked clutch out and it seems to be find. Ohm clutch and switch and all seems ok. Any ideas where else to look/test. If you shut mower off and come back later it appears to be ok until you shut off electric clutch switch again.?????

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you engaging & disengaging pto clutch at full throttle only? Post model number from under seat.

packardv8

Threads
I had similar problems with my long-term CC. I mostly loved that tractor, when I wasn't cursing at it for the electrical problems. I got it at a great price because the original owner couldn't keep it running and the $300 service calls to the dealer got too expensive.

I got it running easily but as everyone knows, there are several interconnected switches which can randomly affect the ability to start and the PTO to engage. The PTO switch is the worst offender. Over the years I had it, every electrical switch and connection on the machine failed intermittently. Replacing with another OEM switch only fixed the problems temporarily; they'd reoccur the next year or the next. The only way to make the tractor reliable was to rewire the machine and use an industrial-quality aftermarket starter switch and a simple on-off pull switch for the PTO.

And yes, the above is only my solution and not the recommended one; removing the lawyer switches makes some people uncomfortable, so don't do it if it will worry you. Just live with never knowing if it will start, keep running or complete the work.

Another FWIW - the "safety" function of having the PTO disengage when reversing and continually re-engaging it at high RPMs will drastically shorten the life of the PTO. Again, if an operator doesn't feel safe backing up with the mower running, then leave it as is and replace the PTO clutch as needed.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yikes, After reading this I realize how good the DYT4000 craftsman PTO and other switches are. (Shouldn't say this.) Never any problems since new, 2009 (with the switches, that is).

bryantsplace1

Threads
Thanks for the advice and the link to service manual. I will look into these areas. Post about craftsman pto switch. I've replaced mine once on my GT 5000 series mower and the electrical clutch once in 10 years.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re repetition of PTO engagements I think I just read a person should avoid as many off and ons as possible which I do. And my gut instinct is to reduce rpm slightly (without engine kill) when engaging PTO. This I find easier on a slight decline. It is understandable that less engagements/ slippage should preserve the clutch, right?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re repetition of PTO engagements I think I just read a person should avoid as many off and ons as possible which I do. And my gut instinct is to reduce rpm slightly (without engine kill) when engaging PTO. This I find easier on a slight decline. It is understandable that less engagements/ slippage should preserve the clutch, right?

Yes, you're right on the money. Minimize PTO engage cycles (get rid of the reverse disconnect) and reduce power setting as much as possible when engaging the clutch if you want your electric clutch to last. My 2140 is 21 years old with ~870 hours and still going fine. No other electrical problems, either.