ECV 880 33hp EFI dies after 30 minutes

Darrell65

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a Kohler ECV 880 on a Hustler super Z that is a beast of a mower but right now it will only run for about 30-40 minutes and then it dies. Sort acts like a fuel starvation issue but I have replaced both fuel pumps and the spark plugs. I've also tried opening the gas caps and even when it won't run, fuel flows easily through the filter and I have spark at the plugs. Once it cools back down, (an hour usually) it starts right back up and will run fine for a little bit and then die again.

What else should I be trying? Only shop in the area that I trust is going on vacation so I can't take it in.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
First inspect air filter & pre-filter replace if stopped up. Second remove Blower Housing, cover over top of engine, & clean engine cooling fins with shop vac, air compressor blower nozzle, do not use water or pressure washer.

Last edited:

joeplazek

Forum Newbie
Threads
Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and watch the fuel pressure as you cut. I had one that had good fuel pressure cold but as it heated up the fuel pressure dropped to a point that kills the engine. Worth a try.

joe