Echo SRM 230 weed wacker dies when it gets hot

Chucksrt

Threads
this ran like a top but one day I was using it and I put it down, went to use it again and it wouldn't prime. I couldn't get it to run. I ordered a replacement carb, fuel lines, spark plug and air filter and it ran great... until it warmed up. Once it warms up it loses power. It will continue to lose power until it eventually stalls out. Once it cools down it starts and runs fine again. Any ideas? Are there adjustments that need to be made? Thanks, chuck

Mower King

Threads
this ran like a top but one day I was using it and I put it down, went to use it again and it wouldn't prime. I couldn't get it to run. I ordered a replacement carb, fuel lines, spark plug and air filter and it ran great... until it warmed up. Once it warms up it loses power. It will continue to lose power until it eventually stalls out. Once it cools down it starts and runs fine again. Any ideas? Are there adjustments that need to be made? Thanks, chuck
Kinda sounds like a coil is breaking down when it gets hot, that is a classic "bad coil" symptom...either that or someone accidently ran gas with not enough oil mix in it?

Chucksrt

Threads
I haven't addressed the coil issue yet. Im not sure where it even is. I just rebuilt the original carburetor and swapped it back on and it wouldn't prime so i swapped the plastic block that the prime bubble attached too as well as the fuel lines from the rebuilt carb and now it primes and runs. However it still has the issue that once it gets hot it loses power and the rpm drops. I will look into the coil next. Its so frustrating playing with this thing.

Kinda sounds like a coil is breaking down when it gets hot, that is a classic "bad coil" symptom...either that or someone accidently ran gas with not enough oil mix in it?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take out the spark arrester screen the in muffler and see if that makes a difference.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take out the spark arrester screen the in muffler and see if that makes a difference.

It did on my Shindaiwa (y)

"If" the spark arrestor screen has combustion debris on it. I would suggest carefully removing the engine cover (It's very simple) & remove the muffler to make sure the exhaust port is good & clean as well..

If you have to clean it, use caution to NOT nick or scratch the piston.. & if you are careful the muffler gasket can be re-used..

Last edited: