Echo SRM-225 seems tired.

dkamp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was given an Echo SRM-225. It would not start. I cleaned the carb and replaced plug. It runs but seems sluggish and underpowered. Can anyone suggest a list of things to check?
I did check the exhaust spark arrester, and it is clean.
Should I remove the Head and check the rings? if so what do I look for to evaluate the condition?
Sorry to be an inexperienced newbie, but I just like fixing stuff.
:)

Craftsman Garage

Threads
You could remove the head for further inspection but I would venture to guess that a fuel line or filter is plugged, carb is still dirty, or valves out of spec.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What is the first of part of serial number (letter and 5 digits)? With I can look up what the Max RPM should be closed to.

Some versions are 8200-9200 rpm and others are 9300-10800. Also the string length is different among the different models depending on the serial. All version is tested with a Speed Feed 400 head.

dkamp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Craftsman Garage:
I replaced the Carb with an Amazon version and new fuel lines and filter.

StarTech:
The SRM-225 Serial number is S03912303806
If I get the Max RPM how can I test or check that? I would also assume it is with the string being a particular length? This has 4 strings hanging out.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1729282526809.png
The current string head is not a normal head for this trimmer test wise. It will load the engine down a lot more.

Rpms are check with a tachometer.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
@StarTech is correct. The Echo Speed Feed 400 is the perfect trimmer head for the SRM225. Check the fuel lines, fuel filter, vent filter, primer bulb, and fuel tank grommet. Those parts can be purchased as a kit.

Tiger Small Engine

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was given an Echo SRM-225. It would not start. I cleaned the carb and replaced plug. It runs but seems sluggish and underpowered. Can anyone suggest a list of things to check?
I did check the exhaust spark arrester, and it is clean.
Should I remove the Head and check the rings? if so what do I look for to evaluate the condition?
Sorry to be an inexperienced newbie, but I just like fixing stuff.
:)
On older 2-stroke handheld equipment, such as a trimmer, before anything else, you should check the condition of the piston, rings, and cylinder. Is there scoring? Only experience can help you determine whether it is an “acceptable” amount of scoring for trimmer to run right or not. Otherwise, without adequate compression, throwing parts at it will not work.

Auto Doc's

Threads
The cylinder condition needs to be determined before you go too far into this. If it has had straight fuel with no oil mix ran in it, the cylinder will be rubbed with aluminum transfer metal from the piston.