Eager-1 won't start. Spark & air ok

Kreig

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
My Craftsman Eager-1 won't start. The spark plug gives a normal spark. The air filter looks dirty but removing it doesn't help to start the machine, so I guess it's not the air filter.
I opened the carburetor. It seemed pretty clean. The holes in the nozzle tube are not clogged, so I didn't clean anything.
What would you check next?

In case that's helpful : the last time I used the mower was in the summer of 2018. I had trouble starting it once in the spring and then it was pretty reliable for the rest of the season. Maybe a few episodes of engine dying while mowing in spring, but that's all.

Thanks in advance!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
You need Fuel,Air,Spark(at the correct time) and compression to run.
I usually start by removing the spark plug, pouring a tablespoon or so of gas in it, reinstall the plug and wire, and try to start it, if runs and dies, fuel system problem.
if it backfires or pops, it may be an ignition timing issue, then I put some fuel down into the carb via the airway, (remove filter and pour it straight into the carb)
If I get nothing, I suspect a valve issue. Or possibly the flywheel key.
But in saying you used the mower last in 2018, id suspect a good carb cleaning is in order. It may look clean, but all it takes is one piece of trash in the right spot.

Kreig

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for sharing that. With a small amount of gas in the spark plug hole, I was able to start it 3-4 times, but I haven't run it more than 10 seconds each time yet. I'll try to mow as long as I can tomorrow.

I'm not sure if it's real or just my imagination, but it seems to be much louder than usual. I also noticed grass being heavily blown away from the under of the mower. Is there any risk to operating the mower under those conditions?

Also, what do you think of starting fluid? If I wanted to keep my mower in good condition for many years, I'd avoid starting fluid and fix what's really causing the problem. But I just need to mow my yard 5-6 times this summer before I move into a place with no yard. If starting fluid could get me through this season, I'd choose that.

dougand3

Threads
You need to find the engine #. May be a 143.955500, which is a Tecumseh TVS-120. May be listed on a sticker. If not, find mower # - eg: 917.372852 and search web for IPL and see engine #.
Louder than normal may be a blown head gasket. I had to replace it on my TVS-120.
Starting fluid washes lube from upper cyl (some do have lube in them and that's better). WD-40, Silicone spray will do the same thing and provide lube.
You probably need a carb rebuild or new carb. Aftermarket ones should be cheap.

Kreig

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a 917.376301. I could only find one carburetor at mowerpartsland.com. Any experience with that seller?

The reason why I might buy a new carb (instead of cleaning the one I have) is the worn black gasket (see picture). I'm guessing the air leak it creates would be enough to prevent the mower from starting. I tried to find a spare gasket but they seem to be quite expensive relative to a whole new carburetor.

Many thanks

black_gasket.JPG