drum/clutch won't turn on Homelite chain saw, band is too tight.

johnny7

Threads
  • / drum/clutch won't turn on Homelite chain saw, band is too tight.
Homelite Timberman45 Chain saw
Engine: PS-05867
Model UT10946D
I have a Homelite UT10946D 18” chain saw that won’t turn because the chain brake is too tight. When the hand guard is disengaged, the brake band is still too tight around the drum. If I pull the hand guard back just a little, the play in it will release the drum and spins as it normally should. I’ve seen some others with the same issue on YouTube and their solution was to remove and cut a link off of the spring. I can see just part of the spring but can’t take the spring out. Not only that, I’m not sure cutting the spring is the right thing to do. I really can't see what else there is that threw this unit out of whack. What are my options here?

Attachments

• 20240819a.jpg
    20240819a.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240819b.jpg
    20240819b.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240819c.jpg
    20240819c.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 4

Bertrrr

Threads
I've removed the brake altogether on mine but that's just me

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Doug if the spring was elongated it would not be causing a bind as it would be too loose. Sounds like the knee joint is worn out. But if so then the OP has no option other than remove the brake band as the knee is NLA. This is a problem I run into a lot Homelite as many parts are NLA due to Homelite being sold out so many times.

johnny7

Threads
Doug if the spring was elongated it would not be causing a bind as it would be too loose. Sounds like the knee joint is worn out. But if so then the OP has no option other than remove the brake band as the knee is NLA. This is a problem I run into a lot Homelite as many parts are NLA due to Homelite being sold out so many times.
I'm going to check to see if I can get the brake link or not but if I can, do you know how to replace it?